Opinions Wanted on 2006 or 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Anybody a current or former owner of a 2006 or 2007 Monte Carlo? I am most interested in owners that had a 3.9 liter V6 or the SS version with the 5.3 liter V8.

What can you tell me about the cars fuel economy and reliability?

2. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

The 3.9 and the 5.3 are both pretty reliable, I don't see much of either in the shop for drivability issues. I do see a decent amount of the 3.9L having oil leak problems from the rear main/ oil pan area. In fact two weeks ago I had to two oil pan/ rear mains on two different 3.9L motors. Not too much I have had to do to the 5.3L other than they tend to be a pain to work on. takes a special tool just to change the serp belt easily. There are other ways to get in there but they are not that easy. Everything else about the car is pretty straightforward.

3. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

Camarolife78,

Thanks for the information!

4. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

Purchased a 2007 Monte Carlo - May 2007........ it is still currently my wife's daily driver with approximately 150k. It's been a reliable car up to this point, and I used to average around 30mpg when I drove it.(highway). In the city she is getting anywhere from 18-22mpg.
    I also own a 2004 Monte Carlo that I purchased new with 180k on it. On the highway, I averaged over 32mpg and got as high as 38. (I track every tank of gas). That car is parked in my garage in Wisconsin and just used when one of us visits her parents. I most likely will sell that when our house sells..... don't have room for it here in AZ, plus I don't think it would pass emissions down here.

Both cars have been relatively trouble free..... regular maintenance, tires, brakes, exhaust, etc.

5. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

What engine does your 2004 and 2007 have? I found an article about the changes for the 2006 model year that included higher output headlamps and a revised suspension for better ride and less road noise. Have you noticed any improvements between the 2004 and the 2007? New engines were also added in 2006.

6. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

7. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member