Optima Batteries - Quality Rumors?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by david.carlton@s, May 18, 2012.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Spammer bought it back up.

2. crash68

crash68 Member

I have an optima because I feel that I have too with the battery in the trunk on one of my 3 classics. I don't in the other two. I've had it this way for a long time and my optimas have been fine except if they are allowed to go dead like when someone is working on them or something gets left on. I did have one die a little early that suffered a lot of full discharges & resurrections and Summit replaced it for free as it was still in warranty. I was impressed!!

Obviously, I wouldn't buy them for the $ if I didn't feel that I needed one. I leave that car on a maintenance charge as well when it's home because it does seem to have a gremlin that can run it down in a few weeks. I've never had an issue if they were treated well. They are just hard to get to recover if you run them dead.

3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

I had a Red top and it lasted 12 years before it went out bought a another red top it it was done in 2 years.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

That'd be my luck too I suspect.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

According to Optima....batteries are consumables....if you properly maintain them, they last just as long as any other battery. I prefer a AGM battery....so I use Optima.

They have a 3 year warranty don't they?

6. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

yes they do

7. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

Here is a good video to watch on batteries, this guy is pretty cool and calls it as he see's it. He does tests on quite a few other car related items. The "performance " air filter test was a great watch also.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Chevyforever likes this.
  8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Couple things. He didn't weigh any of the batteries. Two batteries the same size and one weighs less means less lead/copper/acid. See series 75 batteries from 31 to 38 lbs these days. And it didn't make sense to compare the the silver Advance battery to the other top of the line batteries. The best part of the test to me was the inverter hook up. Those things hit a 12 volt battery hard with any real load.