Optima Ultimate Street Car Fontana Results

Discussion in 'Custom Works' started by ks71z28, Jun 20, 2014.

1. ks71z28

ks71z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So all went well. The only issues we had were a too soft rear sway bar, and one of our BFG Rival tires decided to start coming apart. Our autocross and Speed Stop results weren't what they could have been, but that's what we had for the course that day. The Roadcourse was a lot of fun, and I feel we placed about where we should have. It was an honor to place second in the design and Engineering Portion, which was judged by Steve Rupp, Cam Douglas (optima), Lingenfelter Honcho, someone from K&N, and Larry Calehan from Pro-touring.

10th- Overall finish

12th- Autocross

12th- Speed Stop

7th- Roadcourse

2nd- Design & Engineering

here is a video of the 3 competition events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ksxc-fXkVA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fhp1556

fhp1556 Veteran Member

Congratulations Keith on a job well done!!

Let me ask you a quick question... What wheels are you running and did you have them powder coated?

3. ks71z28

The wheels are from one of great vendors and supporting sponsors Vintage Wheel Works. We did them in a Custom metallic almost black color to jazz them up a bit. If you are interested in a similar set give us a call

thanks

4. ks71z28

So everyone is aware of the tire issue we had with the BFG Rival, here is an update. BFG has not done anything regarding the issue as of yet. Tirerack, who is the exclusive retailer and distributor of the Rival tire informed me that they have had issues with some of the other sizes of there than my 275/40/18 with the shoulder of the tire delaminating from the tread. Their technicians have received my photos below, and i provided them with my alignment specs and video of the car being run. They haven't gotten back to me as of yet with a determination. Below are pics of the single tire that has come apart. It was a left front. Also is a rear tire that appears to have cuts accross the tread, both rear tires have this and it appears to be as deep as the rubber. I have seen this on other tires we have run on the car in the past and never resulted in an issue. My biggest concern with the Rival tire is the durability of the tire when used in competition, for which it was supposedly designed for. Just a not, the outer shoulder is not worn through, and did not contribute to the splitting of the tire itself. The tire has about 60% tread left

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Curves

Curves Member

Keith,

I read on Lat-g that you may make some changes to your torque arm.
    Can you elaborate?

6. ks71z28

I can't until we actually make any changes. We also will see if Speedtech is on board with the changes. So far they haven't given much feed back on what we have experienced thus far. It works, but i think it can be improved in several ways

7. Curves

Curves Member

8. ks71z28

That's a lot of work to put that thing so close to the ground! I don't care for how he made the mounts to the subframe connectors, but otherwise that is what i will likely do to the front X member

9. Schubitzky

Schubitzky Veteran Member

did you ever get an answer from tire rack or BFG on the problem with your tire? I wanted to get rivals for next season to replace my sportcomp-2s. thanks.

10. ks71z28

Bfg didn't do anything but tire rack sent me a new tire. I spoke with BFg at the Portland event and they will be updating the compound next year which will effect tire wear but should bring it to a higher level with falken