Orange/Putnam folks..

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by SpeedAddict02, Feb 9, 2012.

1. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My wife and I have decided when the kids finish elementary school, we are going to look for a house further north of the city. But I can't go too far b/c I will be working in the Bronx. So I wanna stay within 1 to 1-1/2hrs from there..tops..

Have a co-worker now that lives in Fishkill. Says commute isn't too bad. 60miles ea. way. And I know a few others, like Bill, make the commute..

Just had a few questions for you guys.. What are the areas over there to avoid.. When we look for a house I think I am gonna limit purchase price to $175-$200k TOPS b/c I know taxes are high up there, then the fact that I will have to have 2 cars, the extra insurance and commuting costs..Goal is to keep Mortgage/Taxes/Insurance @ $1500/month. Plan on puttin 20% down. I've got roughly 5yrs to plan out the move.

I know staying on the Putnam side, I won't have to pay tolls to go to work.. But I believe houses may be out of my price range there.. At least from the searching I have done on realtor.com & trulia.com.

But there are a lot of towns I don't include in my search b/c I am not familiar with them.

Can you tell me which towns have good school districts, low crime,etc.. Housing in my price range..

So far I have been looking in Fishkill/East Fishkill, Carmel, Patterson,Hopewell, Hopewell Junction, Newburgh, Montgomery,Walkill,Walton, & Middletown.

Where else should I be looking that is in my price range, and not trailer parks?

Also for those that do the commute, if you wouldn't mind, what do you spend per month in gas? Bill I know you got that little Nissan.. How is it on gas? right now I have a 2006 toyota corolla S. I plan on making it live forever and keeping it as my commuter car. Got 41k miles on it now. I only average 23-25 city/30 hwy but my city driving is all stop n go and the highway trips are in the mountains.. Hopefully when I have to do this commute I will be in the 30's steadily. It currently costs me $35/wk in gas.

thanks guys

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mahopac, Yorktown, patterson, Brewster, Ossining, poughkeepsie.
    All good towns, like anywhere they have expensive parts of town with high taxes, but deals can be found. We pay attention to local sales and there a always a few short sales or forclosures going on. They go fast, so you have to be ready to pounce.

One we fell in love with had 4 bedrooms, pool, and a 4 car detached garage. It needed some work, but buy the time we worked up enough balls to inquire about it, it was in contract. I thinl they wanted something stupid like $175k for it, and it was well worth it. Some contractor ended up with it and spruced it up and flipped it.

I like where i live. Its a bit of a drive to Manhattan (work) but im originally from the bronx so im at home in the city, and when i get home im in the sticks. Its funny to think about it now, 11 years later, but its great having a backyard, and not having to circle the neighborhood looking for a parking spot.

I get great gas mileage on that little poo box nissan :) It gets about 35mpg so its about $80 a week in gas to get to manhattan. Ive been lucky with it and have had no real problems latley. I used to drive a s10 blazer to work, and it took a beating. Only made it to 147k before it gave up. The nissan is pushing 266k.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. SpeedAddict02

Cool. Thanks Bill. I have a few co-workers that come from Poughkeepsie. I like it up there too. I just thought it was a little further than I may want. It's like 1 1/2hrs, but that's not counting when the weather gets bad.. So I'm not sure..

I didn't know you were from the Bronx.. I'm working now at West Farms. I could stay there or work at another bus depot by Co-Op city.
    Or I have options in Manhattan too.. Just figured the Bronx is closer.

But I'll check those areas you listed too.. Thanks..

4. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, im a bronx boy...lol Born in Fordham (yikes now) moved to Pelham Bay from age 6 to 22.

I applied for a job there at the bus depot years ago, i think it was near conor street. Never heard back. :(

Im about 30-45 minutes to the bronx.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

pretty much what i did . i lived and grew up in Westchester county , in a village called Buchanan ( yea , indian point ). nice little village and all . went to price homes in Westchester and everything was pretty much out of my ball park . i ended moving up to duchess county . wappenges falls to be exact, and never looked back . i rented in wappengers for 3 years and purchased my home in 99 in Hopewell jct . in the town of east Fishkill. its modest , but i only paid what i could afford and when the crap hit the fan recently i weathered the storm . Fishkill and Poughkeepsie are in dutches county . i love it up here . RT 9 has everything you could possibly need . its like central ave. was 20 years ago . my mother and my sisters all come up here to shop from Westchester . i drive to lower Westchester to my job in Harrison NY and it exactly 100 miles a day . alot , but thats where the money is . it an easy toll free ride on RT 84 to RT 684 , or the taconic parkway . its all highway and non stop in the morning early . schools are good in wappengers . you might wasn't to avoid Arlington schools and the city of Poughkeepsie all together . the burbs are great and taxes are moderate

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. SpeedAddict02

thanks for that info.. That's the info I really need, about the schools districts n stuff, b/c it's real hard to research that being unfamiliar with the areas..

I was told the same about Newburgh.. That it isn't the greatest place to live.. But I see a lot of affordable houses there..

So east fishkill is decent? Any different from Fishkill? I also want to look for something with at least 1/2 acre. I don't want to be on top of my neighbors and feel like I am back in brooklyn.. lol But the wife doesn't want to feel totally secluded either.. We are total opposites on that, so when we actually start looking this should be interesting.. lol I expect it to be very stressful.. lol

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. SpeedAddict02

thanks guys. appreciate it.

9. SpeedAddict02

Anyone here familiar with New Paltz? How is that area for quality of life? Schools, taxes, etc. we might be heading up that way in 2 yrs or so..

What are some decent towns to live in,say within a 10 mile radius of the college with a good school district for the kids? They will be entering middle school at the time we make the move.
    As for housing, I think my budget will be in the $150k range for a mild fixer upper with a little bit of land..

Any info appreciated..

10. yoyo74

yoyo74 Veteran Member

I live in the Hamlet of wallkill which is basically right between newburgh and New Paltz. I grew up in the area and work in newburgh. I bought my house here in wallkill because this is where I wanted to raise my family.It is a wonderful place to live if you like small town country life that is still close to all the shopping and things to do.The police have no sense of humor but there is no crime.They have never bothered me either,(loud car,chirp of tires,etc). Newburgh has some great places but also some of the worst in the country. NFA is the school district that has some of the accreditation but you also have the inner city.NOT for me. New paltz is a little artsie and little too much drugs and bob Marley wannabe for me.Cool to go shopping or drinking there once in a while though.It is where I met my wife. You want to stay away from washingtonville also.I will try to answer questions for you as I see them.I feel your pain with the task of deciding your families well being. Good luck, Ben