Orange/Putnam folks..

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by SpeedAddict02, Feb 9, 2012.

1. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Joe, where is work for you?

You know where i live. I work on 33rd street in Manhattan, 65 miles. Door to door it is 75 minutes on a normal day. New Paltz adds another 15-25 minutes depending.

Thats alot of driving, and thats coming from a guy whos been doing the same 130ish mile round trip for almost 18 years.

Ofcourse if work is closer/up here....than go for it! It really is beautiful up there. I know you had family and work up around that way?

2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I plan on staying in the Bronx.. I work for NYC transit (mta) so i could pick one of 3 bus depots in the Bronx, or in Manhattan.. I figured bronx is the closest..
    I dont necessarily have to go to New Paltz.. My wife is going to school to be a teacher.. In community college right now. When she finishes and is ready to go for her bachelors, thats when we plan on making the move. The Suny university in New Paltz would be her only option, without going further north or west.
    I am ok limiting my commute to 90 minutes max.. I want to keep her within 30minutes off the university and don't really wanna go north of it..
    That's pretty much the jist of it..

3. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am about 45 minutes from the Bronx, so thats not so bad.

4. SpeedAddict02

Ben, What/where is "NFA" school district? What are the good school districts that you know of, say within 30 minutes of the college?

My wife has been house hunting online, just to get a feel for what's out there in our price range.. But she isn't familiar at all with the towns.. She's picking stuff out in ellenville, Newburgh and the town of poughkeepsie.. and I'm like.. uhhhh NO. lol

How is Middletown as far as schools?

thanks

5. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do not know how much you make but North Salem is installing low income housing. From what your limit per month is you might qualify for it if you have a household of 4 or greater. You apply over the phone. Do not be offended by it being called low income housing, my friends have applied and they make okay money.

6. SpeedAddict02

I'll look into it. Thanks.. The main reasons I am trying to be in that price range is to allow for property taxes, which average $5-6k+, and my daily commuting costs...
    If I were to live closer to my job, I could afford more home.. But it's not a very "desirable" area to live in and raise a family, for me.

7. KJZ28

I understand, its good your taking everything into account, too many people don't think of the other costs of home ownership. Good luck with your search, I hope you get what you are looking for.

8. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

Middletown is I'd say 75% dump of a town. Except for going to the mall and the OC Fairgrounds, I'd say stay out of it. Take a ride around there, you'll see what I mean.

Goshen, Chester, Monroe, Woodbury, all decent. Monroe/Woodbury is one of the best districts around and you are close to both the Palisades and the Thruway. I'm on the Harriman State Park side. High Hassidic Jew population on the other side of 17 though in Monroe but they keep to themselves mostly. I commute to Englewood Cliffs daily...40 mins each way up the Palisades. The OC trainline runs from Port Jervis down to Secucus daily. Port Jervis is decent but out in the sticks past Middletown. Lots of farms up that way.

But again trust me when I say stay out of Middletown. You'll thank me later.

9. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

I gotta put this in here. This building I think would be so bad azz to own. Everytime I go up to Goshen, I notice it. Problem is, I can't find a listing on it anywhere. Last I was up there (in December), it was still for sale. Can you imagine the size workspace you have in this thing? It's been for sale since 2007. I bet it even has the fireman pole so you can slide down from the living quarters to the garage area. I'd be in heaven if I bought this place! It's just too cool for words. Every boys dream house.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061104/NEWS/611040325&cid=sitesearch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. KJZ28

That would be a cool place to buy for a car club...with some rich members of course.