Orange/Putnam folks..

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by SpeedAddict02, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mcrrt

mcrrt Veteran Member

For Orange County take a look at the Town of Newburgh/ Wallkill area. Not all of T/O Newburgh is Newburgh schools, some is Valley Central and some is Wallkill schools, both of which are pretty reasonable for taxes. Stay away from City of Newburgh and Middletown. There is nothing wrong with Newburgh schools and you can live in New Windsor or Town of Newburgh for the Newburgh schools. There are alot of good school districts in Orange County and I would stay away from the more expensive school districts where the school taxes are out of control (Cornwall, Pinebush, Warwick, Goshen), great school districts but your paying alot for it. In most of the area if you find an older home built before 1975 or so, your taxes are wayyyy lower than if you found a newer home, and it can be almost double in some towns. Thats something to take a look at. Take a look at the school districts, taxes, location for your commute to get to either to Rt 17, Thruway, Palisades, Taconic, 9w or Rt 84, and Metro North Train. Alot of variables to look at. I'm in New Windsor, older home Newburgh schools and my taxes are $6000. .Good luck.

2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

sorry to bring this back from the dead..

Anyone familiar with the towns of Marlboro, Plattekill & Clintondale? Moving forward finally.. Waiting on my Pre-Approval, then start physically looking next month at homes.. Wife saw some in these towns.. Still trying to stay within a 30 minute commute to SUNY New Paltz.. Looking to get into something by next March.. Let the fun begin lol

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

You go to new paltz ? My mom got her masters there and my step daughter is there now working on her masters . Good luck . I'm not to familiar with the Marlboro area as I'm on the other side of the river .

4. SpeedAddict02

I don't. My wife will be next fall.
    Thanks

5. mcrrt

mcrrt Veteran Member

Marlborough's school taxes are insane. They used to be reasonable but they lost the taxes from the electric plant that went out.

6. SpeedAddict02

thanks for the heads up..

7. SpeedAddict02

Looks like I'm mostly limited to Ulster county. I am going for a USDA loan and much of Orange and Dutchess isnt eligible because of the population..

8. SpeedAddict02

Anyone familiar with Kingston school district?
    Good?bad?

9. mcrrt

mcrrt Veteran Member

Dont know about Kingston School District, but Kingston itself is not a great area. Have you tried the Ulster County Wallkill area?(Dont confuse with the Orange County Wallkill next to Middletown). They have great schools, parts of Plattekill and even the far north west side of Town of Newburgh goes to Wallkill Schools.

10. SpeedAddict02

Thanks.. I heard the same thing about Kingston also.. Decided not to bother going up that far.. We found a home in Wallkill & I'm putting an offer in today.. Hopefully works out.. fingers crossed. (Ulster County - Wallkill)