original power

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by codye06, Aug 9, 2013.

1. codye06

codye06 New Member

Quick version- What kind of power, (break the tires loose, set you back in your seat, nothing impressive ect.) can I expect from an original motor second gen camaro, maybe rebuilt once or tuned up recently but no major engine modifications.

Long version- I am hoping to find a nice 2nd gen Camaro in the next couple of weeks for around 7-8K. My requirements are basically that it will function as a daily driver, the heater and AC work, and overall the car is in fairly good shape.
    I have only test drove 1 so far. I am wondering what kind of power I should expect to be seeing from a decent original 305 or 350? I know they are supposed to be around 175HP or so. Should I expect it to compare with my completely stock 08' avalanche that has a 327? I know my 327 has a lot more HP (about 330) but the truck also weighs quite a bit more.
    The one I test drove was a base model with a 305 automatic trans, and did not feel quick in any way. it was running 5500 RPM at 70mph. The car did start no problems and sounded ok I was just really disappointed with the power.

2. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

The 305 was a gas mileage concession. Therefore the gears that you would get in a car with that motor were also mileage oriented. A 350 powered car could also have mileage gears but performance just as well. A nice 175 HP motor with some 3.23 or 3.42 gears will accelerate faster. It's just they weren't built back then for the RPM's and "run out of gas".

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

A 305 with 2.41 or 2.56 gears will perform like a slug. It was built to do that. It was an economy package. A 350 with 3.42 gears will get up and move, but suck more gas.
    There is more to performance than just the engine. Look at the total package of the entire drivetrain.
    Also, 5500rpm at 70mph tells me that that car has a defective tach or isn't shifting out of low gear.

4. HyPer

HyPer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

or has 10" lowrider wheels and superkart tires. :eek:

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

If you are n`t satisfied with power. Either build and / or buy a 350 to power level you want. And dress it up to look stock. Can we say "Sleeper".

6. wildcamaro

wildcamaro Veteran Member

I bet your 323 (not 327! Lol) avalanche would dust that camaro, I'd be willing to put some cash on that! That's why I put a 5.3 in my 81 camaro :)