OT: Kids car tranny issue. (Civic)

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FatnLow, Jul 28, 2012.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I knew you would look since it said Civic. lol.

J/K I just did a auto to manual swap on a 93 civic. The motor and trans are d16z6. Trans p20. When I bought the trans I checked it by spinning each axle and making sure input shaft turned. So I figured it was good. Motor fired up today, bled slave cylinder and I can hear throwout bearing. But when I put it in gear with clutch in and let it out nothing. Not movement or even engine load. I think it must be busted inside trans between gearset and main shaft? It goes into any gear just fine but will not load or attempt to move. After with it shut off and in gear the car will roll so I figure the trans must be shot. Just wanting confirmation or tips. The transmission was a pia to get on and align also. Thanks for any info. Kent

btw A trans swap is no in order for my Camaro since I'm willing to do it for a civic. It will just cost 3x more

2. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Is there freeplay in the clutch pedal? The only thing I can think of that could cause any problem outside of an internal tranny failure would be the clutch pedal/hydralic system not fully releasing the clutch.

3. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can see the clutch fork moving about a half an inch back and forth if that helps. This was a project to get the kid involved in working on cars. Car maintenance etc. The pedals and clutch master cylinder and rod were all from the same car so I did't do any adjusting of the rod. It gives a full pedal with about 1/2 travel of the clutch fork.