Outer Rocker Panel Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 71smalbloc, Apr 5, 2020.

1. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

I have some of my 71 apart right now to patch some rust spots behind the fenders and after cutting out the rust I was able to get a good look down the rocker panel....(see attached images). Passenger side rocker is littered with mouse nests and what not. I figured the best way to clean this all up would be to remove and replace the outer rocker panel. I'm pretty new to body work and metal fab but I'd like to tackle the job myself. I know the outer rocker is spot welded at the two pinch welds so I'd have to drill all of those out to remove it. Does anyone have any pictures or other tips they can give me? How difficult is this job?

Attached Files:

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Ouch! Had the same problem with one of my Camaros. They get it through that little flapper door...I got a vacuum and tried to clean it out the best I could.

3. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

Yeah..I've done that the best I can but there isn't a lot of room to fish a vacuum hose down there.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Take the kick panels out from the front and you can snake a flexible vacuum hose down through them. Probably not one of the big 2-1/2 inch shop-vac hoses, but the smaller 1-1/2 or so hoses.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    berg2695 likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Is this the cowl or the rockers?

6. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

Rocker

7. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

71smalbloc likes this.
  8. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

If the rocker are not rotted, I would not be looking to replace them. Why do all that work, I am sure you can figure out way to clean them out good and spray some sealer in there. They make a spray can with a nozzle on a hose specifically to do that. I got mine on Eastwood. It they are rotted out that is a different story.

9. 71smalbloc

71smalbloc Member

There a little rotted and covered in bondo. I figured they'll have to be replaced eventually anyway. If they were in good shape I definitely wouldn't be trying to replace them.

10. rotinrob

rotinrob Member

I would replace them if there is any doubt as to the condition they are in. Mice can be very corrosive. I'm not sure how well made the repops are I had the good fortune that the General was still selling the passenger side when I did that part of my car. I had to fix the drivers side as there were no repops then. Any way since this is a big part of what holds the car up make absolutely certain that the car is well supported and don't move it until it is fully welded back up. Like all things bodywork go slow check twice use lots of clamps, screws or clecos and check twice more then weld. It should turn out alright. Good luck.

Attached Files: