Overheating Issues

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
So, I had some issues with the cooling system. When I took off the thermo housing, this is what I found. I do not think it is a 2 piece unit and it should not live inside the mainfold.
One of the three "arms that holds it together is somewhere in the cooling passages. Likely, it is stuck in the head somewhere.
20220514_134542.jpg
20220514_134736.jpg

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
It has to be 15-20 years old.
Since it is non ferrous metal, I cannot fish out the broken piece with a magnet. I will see if I can find the missing piece when I pull the water pump.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
The last couple of thermostats I've changed were made of stainless steel, instead of brass.

Now I see why the material was changed.

Considering the direction of the coolant flow... It's probably at the bottom of the driver's side of the radiator.
(It should never get to the output tank through the radiator cooling tubes.)

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
The last couple of thermostats I've changed were made of stainless steel, instead of brass.

Now I see why the material was changed.

Considering the direction of the coolant flow... It's probably at the bottom of the driver's side of the radiator.
(It should never get to the output tank through the radiator cooling tubes.)
Bummer. Lower hose is on passenger side:mad:

The new one I bought is stainless because I thought that was a better material to use.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
any bits of brass or steel would likely bother me, but only because I'm A-R. Although, I doubt they will cause any functional issue.
In fact, they may have already gone into solution entirely or nearly so anyway.

I DO suggest you CLEAN (not just a flush) out the entire system with a strong chemical as I outlined in a recent post .... and in future, more frequent inspections.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^+1

I doubt that little piece of brass will ever cause a problem.
Especially if it's sitting in the bottom of the radiator tank, where I suspect it ended up.