Overheating

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Scott Sievers, Jun 5, 2020.

1. erhan ergin

erhan ergin Veteran Member

Any progress on this topic? I have a similar issue and wanted to see if you figured out. My next step is replacing the crank pulley so I slow down the water pump. My current crank pulley has a larger diameter outer groove and I saw in another thread someone suggesting the coolant may not be staying in the radiator long enough to dissipate enough heat.

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I dont know if I missed it, but what compression are you running? High compression engines produce more heat, and it takes more to cool them down. Have you tried higher octane gas, assuming you are running 93? also are you reading temp from the Head or the intake?

I had some heating issues on my big block, at idle it would creep up to 235 , Im at 10.5-1 compression, aluminum heads, intake, very large flexalite radiator, with very large fans. took me fiddling with, eventually adding a bypass hose between the water pump and intake drastically dropped the temp along with a 160 thermostat. Now im reading about 195 from head at idle.

I plan to add AC, so it will be interesting to see what it does.

3. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

No resolution yet.. i have the blown 434 put together and running on the engine stand to break it in.. once it is ready, I will order the new clutch/exhaust and put it in the car,and see if it overheats with the AC running... Your thermostat, is supposed to be responsible for slowing the coolant down, keeping it in the rad long enough TO cool down, and should work to do so even with a higher flow rate.. I tried to upload the vid of it running, but it says the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension? I'll update when I get everything put back together.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Watching this thread

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im not 100% positive, but I thought the thermostat was to slow the coolant down for heating the engine up, not for cooling it down. I have run no thermostats in vehicles for years during summer, no issues. In fact when i was troubleshooting my big block , I removed the thermostat all together and it never heated up. I wanted a thermostat so it would warm up properly, so I went with a 160 degree.

[email protected] likes this.
  6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

My take is the thermostat's initial job is to warm up the engine right away. Not sure about about other idea's as to what role a t-stat plays after that. I have heard the t-stat will slow down the coolant so that the radiator has time to cool it off and the other side that a high flow thermostat will run cooler. I did try a high flow one and ran into heat issues. Put a normal 160 thermostat in and the engine stay fairly cool.

giggity likes this.
  7. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

Yeah what Bandit said. Yes to both... its initial job is to keep the coolant in the engine until it comes up to temp, THEN it regulates the flow to the radiator depending on that temperature.... Any old school rodder has had a rod with NO thermostat, and then found out in the middle of winter that he had NO HEAT whatsoever when running down the highway, and stuffed cardboard in front of the rad so the water could heat up a little. On the other side, if the water goes through the rad too fast it doesnt have time to cool down in the summer heat before its back in the engine gaining more heat. I am wondering as someone else posted, if there isnt enough airflow... The engine is in the car, but I JUST have not had time to finish hooking it all up yet... I'll be back!

8. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Not sure of the miles on this engine, I've had a worn cam in a firebird that caused it to heat up under a pull. Drove me crazy before I figured it out.

9. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Read through the thread. My question is, do you have a hood on the car or are you driving it as shown in your avatar?