Pa emissions laws?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Mathes79Z, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

Anyone know the standings on the pa emissions laws?
    Im getting a lot of wind that they are going back to how it was (no cats or emissions) and also going to a 2 year inspection.
    If this is true, the camaro can go back on the road, if not she will have to sit all winter and wait untill i can afford classic tags or cats (which i might as well go back to a stock setup, cats, smog pump, no headers. etc.. u guys know the drill).
    So anyone know for sure? also i can remove the cat on my turbo daytona.
    oh and, hey guys, sorry i havent been around, too many projects, but had the camaro fired up for the first time with the demon on it, wow, nice carb, cant keep the tires planted like i used to. i miss drivin the ol girl.

2. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

They are thinking about changing the laws, but I don't believe it is set to happen anytime soon. Plus, don't forget, even if they remove the actual emissions test, I believe they still do a visual for the smog equipment during the normal inspection.

3. slow80sc

slow80sc Veteran Member

Have you ever had it inspected before?
    There is an exemption to remember, under 5000 miles a year makes it emissions exempt, $38.00 inspection.
    Thats the only way I got mine inspected last week, just remembered in the nick of time that I have owned it for 3 years and only driven it a couple hundred miles.
    I also remember hearing that if there is no inspection sticker to take the mileage from, they have to go along with the mileage you tell them.

4. BlownBigBlock

BlownBigBlock Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's not like they are going to do a sniffer test on ya, all it is for you is a visual. So make something that looks like a cat and put on your system... Unless the inspection mechanic is a real prick, what can he say.

Now here's the kicker, if the car only came with one cat stock. Techinically you can only install one cat (even you have true duels) and still be legal. :)

5. Mathes79Z

Mathes79Z Veteran Member

wouldnt that look cute, might try the 5000 mile rule, i built the motor about 4 years ago and i think ive only put 5K on it since then :)
    Will look into it over the cold winter months.
    if anyone gets an update, please update me! :) cant wait to get her out again, just the short couple trips i made in it gave me spirit back and a drive to finish the restoration.

6. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

When i put mine back on the road i'm going to take a look at the collectible vehicle tags. For those you do not need any smog equipment. I think it is $70.00 a year plus the car has to be inspected yearly. It's about the same as paying for your registration and the smog sticker together. If you do a search on google you will find more information.

7. 73454

73454 Guest

Technically you cannot legally remove any smog equipment from any car. This is called "de-certifying" the vehicle, and it is against federal regulations. That doesn't stop people from doing it, but it is still illegal, nonetheless.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I have Historic plates on my 77 here in NJ. No inspection (thus no sticker in the window).

9. Badkarma

Badkarma Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Our car was " de- certified" by the original owner ( my wife school teach who we got the car from ) sure as hell arnt puttin that crap back on the car.ewwww