Paging Musclecarjohn

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Rick WI, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I think you'd be best placed to help me out. Going to be buying a new truck, in this instance a Ford. I have tons of questions but to get me started on the right track hoping you could help me with a couple to start with.

First thing is I'm basically looking at setting it up as a 4X4 with extended cab and 8 foot box. That's the foundation I'm looking at. Towing will be done but nothing heavy whatsoever, at most 5000 lbs.

What gets me confused, from searching on the internet, is what overall package represents a good value. I'm not looking at getting a 45k truck so don't want leather interior and DON'T want Nav or a blow job when I get in the truck. Just a nice driving truck with a decent options package which we'd all like to have for day to day driving. Would that be the FTX, FX4, STX? Just wanting a feel for which base package spec you think offers the best overall value.

Second main question is the new EB6 twin turbo. I am heavily leaning in this direction and wondering if you have any feedback on reliability since it's been running in the Taurus for awhile. My sense is the engine should out perform on the hwy mileage with the right rear gear and since I'm not afraid of technology would likely go this route on the powertrain. Mileage is a high priority with this purchase.

Thanks a ton.

2. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Rick,

I'll assume you're looking at an F-150,correct?

If so,I'd consider an XLT.The EcoBoost TT V/6 isn't available in the STX and I really don't think you want an XL truck,do you?

An FX4 might be more pricer that what you're after,I'd be looking at an XLT if it was me.

Now as far as the EB TT,it's just appearing in the trucks as we speak and I have not seen or driven one yet but I have driven the Taurus and Flex with that powerplant and I can tell you it's a fricking rocketship...you look down at the gauges and you're going 80...:eek:

Haven't heard any negative feedback on the engine in either of those two models I spoke about so no issues that I'm aware of,it would seem to me this engine would provide the absolute best of both worlds,gobs of power & torque on demand while sipping fuel when you got your foot out of it.

I have searched for EB TT trucks recently and see nothing out there,I just did a search for an F-150 S/C 4x4 with an 8' bed yesterday and that turned up zero matches so that will probably have to be a factory-ordered piece,you won't find it sitting on a dealers lot.

Let me know how I can further assist you...I can send you the dealer order guide in a pdf file and you can pick out what options you want then I can paper-build it for you if you'd like...no problem.:cool:

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

That PDF would be awesome! [email protected].
    Sorry, yes a F 150 is what I am looking at. I am expecting to have to special order without a doubt. I figure it would be what 6 to 8 week wait? Can you sell a car in WI? Kind of kidding but just needed to ask

My gut also thinks the turbo is the way to go. Should be a fantastic combo.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. Buickfunnycar

email sent Rick...;)

5. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Rick -- the twin-turbo in the F-150 is a late 2011 model year availability. Some time in the spring is when you'll see them arriving on the lots. It's probably why MCJ hasn't seen anything on them yet.

2011 is a huge year for Ford truck engines, they have 4 new powerplants. Two V6 engines and two V8s:

3.7 V6 (similar to the Mustang V6)
    EcoBoost twin turbo V6
    5.0 V8 (similar to the Mustang 5.0)
    6.2L V8 411 HP 430 TRQ (iirc)

Just going by my handy-dandy magazine subscriptions to R&T and MT for my info.

6. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Thanks Dirt. I'm in no real hurry and with temps going to single digits and snow and salt all over rather beat the Subaru up until spring. To set it up with what I want will have to order anyway. Got some info from John and will try and get it penciled out on paper this weekend. Then beat the snot out of John on a price. Then wait patiently !!!!

My last Ford was a 76 Pinto so this is going to be interesting! Of course the Pinto was a POS to no end. In the past I'd have walked into the Toyota dealer and be done in a couple of hours. Don't even want to look at their trucks.

Hoping this beast passes the test of time.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. Buickfunnycar

Glad you got the info Rick,email me back with the specs you want and I'll build it on paper and see where you screwed up mixing options that don't match,lol...:p

8. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I'm glad you said that! Its not rocket science but it sure the fook is confusing.

Let's see to get windows you need to have B40 but can't have C263 with that unless Fleet exception FU is available with a CA431 delete. Maybe I'll just say send one in Black and keep Henry happy!

I see why all the Farmers buy off the lot around here.

9. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

Hey Rick...... that's why "real" men don't buy Fords!!!

Just kidding! LOL.... gotta give ya crap, we haven't been around lately, so when the dust settles, we need to get together again.

10. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

I think you are right! You'll see my dead truck in the drive if you walk by the house. Died on me driving home on 73. Its getting long in the tooth!

We should be up there next week and will give you a call.