Painless looking for input into finishing 2nd gen camaro harnesses....

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by eric0o1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. eric0o1

eric0o1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

great to hear. Most everything routes over the steering column, even everything on the cluster panel (wipers, Gauges, Headlight switch)

2. parker36

parker36 Member

Just got my kit this week from Summit. I am amazed at how good the instructions are for this. Taking my time with it as it is very cold even in the garage. Want to make sure and do it right. Just had to say that this 79 Camaro kit looks very well put together and very much worth the money!

3. eric0o1

When you get to the install and have any questions let me know

4. parker36

parker36 Member

Just wanted to see what you thought on this. I am doing pretty much complete restore on 79 Camaro. I have read through all instructions and ready to go. Not putting in engine until warmer weather and get money together for it. Any problem with starting the interior wiring first? I was going to just do the harness for the engine compartment and set it out of the way, but start at the fuse box and go with all interior and tail sections so I could lay carpet and headliner and get interior done. Just wanted to make sure and see what you thought. As always thank you for the help!

5. eric0o1

there shouldn't be any problems doing that

6. parker36

parker36 Member

The kit is really nice and the install is going good so far. I may have routed a few of the interior under and around the steering column but easy to fix. Couple questions I have so far is when I hooked up the turn signal switch, I found the correct connector and got everything on and done. As I was finishing up some other things under dash I swear I am seeing another one of the connectors hanging there. If I follow it, it looks to be going to the entire rear harness section. Am I correct in thinking this is just the old tail section that I have not removed? I didn't have time to really look tonight but was going to get back at it tomorrow.
    Also, I don't have the power windows or locks. Do I just tape up the end of those wires if not needed and hide them in the routing or do I need to do something else with them?
    Just some quick questions there and that is it....overall I am very happy and amazed at the work put into this!!
    Thank you!

7. eric0o1

yes that connector you are describing sounds like the factory tail harness that connected to the side of the fuse block.

As for the power window/lock wires, yes you can tape them up and hide them in the harness to be used for those functions at a later time or to power any add on you have that may need a battery power source (lock circuit) or a switched 12v source (window circuit). If you tape the wires up I would recommend removing the 2 fuses from the fuse block to prevent these wires from having any voltage going to them.

8. parker36

parker36 Member

So far so good on everything. The only tip that I would add to people just starting this is to make sure you are routing the wires where you want them to go!! It should be easy if you follow the directions but I had a couple of times now that I have had to pull them back through and route them to over the steering column. First time it was a little farther back then where I needed it to be so I had to do it again. It's a lot harder to do this after you have clipped a few of the wire ties. Just needed to take my time and make this the most important thing when I started, which I didn't!!

Other than that...best part of this is taking pictures and acting like I really know what I am doing when showing friends. The kit and the instructions make this very smooth and simple. Thank you very much for the advice and the help.

9. parker36

parker36 Member

Sorry for so many questions but running into aftermarket gauges now and get them installed. I would assume that I can get 18 gauge wire and just chain the black wires for lights to each other making one connection into the terminal for the mating connector provided. Do the same for the white lightening wires. And then make connectors for the volt gauge and send one to gauge power and one to the gauge ground. I will be leaving the oil pressure signal, fuel level signal and engine temp signal open. (gauges I have are tach, water temp, volts and oil pressure). my oil pressure only has the positive and negative spots on it which I would run to the gauge ground and gauge power and run the main line to engine. Am I on the right track here? and if you need pics let me know as biggest questions I have are leaving the ones open and if that is okay to still plug this mating harness in like that and making sure that the chaining of those wires for the lights is the right thing also. Let me know what you think when you get a chance and thank you very much for the help.

10. eric0o1

Yes you are on the right track. Are the gauges mechanical or electric?