Painless looking for input into finishing 2nd gen camaro harnesses....

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by eric0o1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Eric,

Thanks for the info. When I get to the stage of rewiring my car, I'll make sure I get lots of photos and post them here.

2. parker36

parker36 Member

Eric,

Wanted to see what you thought on another item here. I am putting the final touches on the glove box wiring. What I have is a non AC car and I bought all the non AC items for this. What it looks like is the Painless harness is wired as one wire for the switch and one wire for the bulb socket. If I have a non AC car than the switch comes ready for the bulb in it and there is no second wire to plug in for a socket running to the top of the box. Now I can do two things here as the box is able to still have a socket to the top of it. I can reorder this part and get the switch for the AC cars and run this into both plugs on the Painless harness or I can just keep what I have and use the bulb going to the switch but then I will have the extra wire for glove box light that will be empty. Can I just tape off this section of the harness for the glove box light and everything will be okay? Or what would you recommend? I can send pics if needed.
    Once again thank you very much for all of your help! Painless kit has been great!

3. eric0o1

eric0o1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

http://www.classicindustries.com/camaro/parts/ca36134.html
    I'm guessing this is the light you have? These style lights usually only require a power source since the switch will ground the bulb through mounting to the dash. With the camaro dash being plastic I it would need a power and a ground source. Looking at schematics it shows 2 wires going to it, but the picture in the link I provided only shows the ground.Can you provide a picture of the one you have?

4. parker36

parker36 Member

[​IMG]

I don't know if this helps and I can get another photo later if needed. I have that exact switch that you posted from classic. And this is a photo of it hooked up and the one wire that is open that says glove box light. Don't know if that helps at all but I can get a better one later. Thank you for the response.

5. eric0o1

the wire you have hooked to it from the chassis harness, black wire, is a ground wire. It needs to be a power wire (the orange wire in your picture) since there is no power going to the bulb. Is there a tab on the side to connect the power wire to?

6. parker36

parker36 Member

[​IMG]

Okay this should be better picture. So I can take the black wire off the switch and then I can plug the orange wire onto this as it creates a tab open on the switch. Now the other side has no tab on it to plug in on. These are the only three wires I have here.

7. eric0o1

[​IMG]

here is a factory schematic showing these connections. I circled what you have in green, and what the harness comes per-wired for in red.

remove the bulb from your switch, see if you have an opening like this...
    [​IMG]

If so, remove the connector from the orange wire on the Painless harness, leave the terminal on the wire. This terminal will plug into this slot in the socket providing power to the bulb

8. parker36

parker36 Member

And that is the answer!!! Thank you very much. That worked out perfect for the application that I have and I would have never thought of that. Thanks again for the help!

9. eric0o1

really thank you for bringing it to my attention, now I need to order a switch from classic so I can take pictures and add it to the manual. Also the terminal on the orange wire may need to be changed over to the male style like what is on the black wire. When I get the switch, and if this is the case, I will let you know and send you the proper terminal.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  10. parker36

parker36 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't know if you can use any if these but here are more pics of the switch.