Painless looking for input into finishing 2nd gen camaro harnesses....

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by eric0o1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. eric0o1

eric0o1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

helped a ton, looks like it needs the male "flag" style terminal. I will get one sent to you first thing Monday if you PM me your address.

2. parker36

parker36 Member

Testing the wiring

I do have another question about testing some of the interior wiring. I know Eric said to use a 10 amp or less charger and which tab to use on the fire wall harness. I do have the charger but the clips on the end of it are too big to actually reach in and grab onto the tab coming out of the fire wall to give a circuit power to test. Am I missing something here or is there something I can use on the clip to be able to grab this end of the clip coming out of the fire wall? Just thought I would ask in case I am missing something here or was supposed to attach the end somewhere else on the positive side when testing the circuit.

And if this isn't a good idea to test some circuits just let me know. I just know that it will be awhile before the engine goes in and thought I would test out some of the interior wiring to make sure it is up and running.

Thank you

3. eric0o1

you can install one of the "flag" terminals I sent you onto a scrap piece of wire and then plug that wire into the appropriate terminal on the bulkhead and then attach the positive battery charger lead to the scrap wire. Just make 100% sure you are plugging into the right spot on the bulkhead as there are ground signal wires to the gauge cluster and chassis ground wires that run through the bulkhead as well. The 10 amp charger, if working correctly, would prevent anything catastrophic from happening.

I could see it being beneficial in your position to know it all works correctly, you should be able to test the gauge back lighting, voltmeter, ignition switch, courtesy lights, and radio. If you have the tail section installed you can test the fuel level gauge, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, reverse lights, and dome light.

4. parker36

parker36 Member

Few vids that I took. Seems to have most things working and just have a few more things to connect. Brake light switch is brand new and when I press it in and out does nothing for brake lights. They come on with the headlight switch and all turn signals work. Just no brake light when switch is pressed out. Checked all bulbs to make sure correct ones and rewired the connector to straight connecting terminals but no change so I need to check this. Any suggestions at something I may be missing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. parker36

parker36 Member

6. eric0o1

check to see if you have power at the switch on the orange wire, this is the wire from the 15 amp "BRAKE" fuse. What did you do with the white wire at the turn signal switch?

7. parker36

parker36 Member

I will check that. The white wire I just wrapped the end of it with tape and left it out of the switch as the car is 1979 camaro. Hopefully this is correct or do I need to take this wire somewhere else?

8. eric0o1

that is correct I just wanted to make sure you didn't wire it for integrated lights

9. parker36

parker36 Member

Doesn't seem to have power coming to the switch. I was checking the fuse box and you said it and the instruction book says it also, that the Stop Fuse is a 15 amp, but the pics in the book and where my Stop Fuse is, it is a 20 amp. Just wanted to check on that also to make sure I'm looking in the right area. Other than this, everything is working perfect. I would think that the tail section is grounded good as all the lights work...tail, turn, reverse etc... I will keep checking my work to see what's going on, but let me know if you think of anything else on this one. And thank you again!!

10. parker36

parker36 Member

Well I actually spoke to soon. I kept looking under there seeing a wire taped off. I actually put the white wire into the harness for the switch under there. So that being said I could not pull the tab out but I pulled pretty much the entire white wire out, cut it clean and taped it. Tried again and nothing on the brake lights. So I guess my main question would be within that turn signal switch am I going to have to find a way to push that entire tab out of that switch for it to function properly and the one coming from the factory that plugs into it has a white wire that is going to where that terminal would be empty. Is this correct? It does seem to have some type of reading now on the meter so I think I am almost there but just missing something. Let me know what you think when you get a chance and thanks again!