Camaroz28722

Aug 25, 2018
hey my camaro (1972) needs new wiring kit has anyone used painless direct fit harness? I think i want go with them or american autowire direct fit whats the differences form them im looking for a nice direct fit and the only aftermarket stuff on my car will be dash gauges and eclectic fans

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
Ditto on auto wire,tech was great and fit was excellent. I went complete stock harness . Electric fan harness was made by be cool in which I bought their fan.

Goat

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
moncure, NC
No experience with the above mentioned, but I used the Painless complete harness and was very impressed. The manual is almost a book - well written too. Has very detailed pictures and explains things very well. Have no complaints...

Camaroz28722

Aug 25, 2018
No experience with the above mentioned, but I used the Painless complete harness and was very impressed. The manual is almost a book - well written too. Has very detailed pictures and explains things very well. Have no complaints...
did it come with a harness for the aftermarket gauges?

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama

I must have got one made on a Friday. The door plunger switch wires were ridiculous different lengths, the courtesy light wires for the passenger side was too short. The ignition neutral safety wires were too short. The done light wires does not go to the dome. The gauge cluster wires were all different lengths (it was silly!) They expect you to splice the old wires into the new one near the B pillar. Not the greatest IMHO...Not a perfect direct install. I cut and re-wires a handful of connections.

I don’t understand why there are different wires for “aftermarket gauges”. Since the connector for the stock gauges isn’t installed, you can just use those wires for aftermarket gauges. I used the extra wires from the aftermarket wires to power other things like the check engine light.

Goat

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
moncure, NC
I must have got one made on a Friday. The door plunger switch wires were ridiculous different lengths, the courtesy light wires for the passenger side was too short. The ignition neutral safety wires were too short. The done light wires does not go to the dome. The gauge cluster wires were all different lengths (it was silly!) They expect you to splice the old wires into the new one near the B pillar. Not the greatest IMHO...Not a perfect direct install. I cut and re-wires a handful of connections.

I don’t understand why there are different wires for “aftermarket gauges”. Since the connector for the stock gauges isn’t installed, you can just use those wires for aftermarket gauges. I used the extra wires from the aftermarket wires to power other things like the check engine light.

Do you remember if your part # was the same? How long ago did you buy yours?

As far as the aftermarket gauges, in my kit, they wired in a separate 8-10 (can't remember) pin connector designed to feed aftermarket gauges. I'm guessing this is because they don't know what or where your "aftermarket" gauges will be mounted. This gives you the option of cutting your own wires to length. They supply a mating connector with pins.

Yep, not sure what happened on your end, but mine fit perfect...

Latest posts