Painless Performance #20112 issues.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by jkhall, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jkhall

jkhall Member

having issues with my painless harness. But not as bad as I have heard others having .... :/ anyways, today has not been painless at all and I am not sure where the problem is.

20190209_191315.jpg

Brake Lights don't work. Running lights do when I turn on headlights, blinker works. No Break lights. Here is what I have so far.
    manual location if anyone wants to look: https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/20112.pdf

Problem. Rear brake lights not working.

Troubleshooting so far:
    1. I closed circuit at the brake pedal switch. testing power at switch got light on probe.. working here.
    2. 1 ft from fuse block, tested wire marked Brake light power #918 has power. (will come back to this wire for comments)
    3. At 3 pin connector wire #918 has power to the pigtail that connects to tail harness.
    Page 114 in the manual says light blue #918 brake light power provides power to the brake lights on 1978-1981. other 2 wires going to this connector is Yellow and green

Page 117: 1970-1973 tail harness power has 2 wires coming out of it. Yellow and gree. The blue cable does not connect to any cable on the tail harness.

Turning on headlights, the tail light comes on. This is working. Blinker works. Brake lights do 'NOT' work.

Reading page 114 again it references page 78 for the turn signal schematic. The turn signal #918 break switch output is wired correctly. I applied the brake and have power at both sides of the connector.... this is correct.

And now I don't know what to do. I feel like the fuse box and harness is probably set up for 1977-1981 brake lights.

I am very frustrated, I don't know if the harness is screwed from the factory, or if I am missing something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what to check next, or how to rewire to get this working correctly.

2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Interesting conundrum. It would be interesting to see what happens if you were to plug in another known good correct turn signal switch for your car and see if that changes anything in your functions.

3. jkhall

jkhall Member

Ok, a little more background.

This can had a old painless harness that was generic and it was working correctly. I decided in the last few weeks to correct it. up till this point all lights were working, all switches functional.

4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

take another look at p116 'Tail Harness Connector' the Light Blue wire is for 78-81 only and not needed so ignore it for the time being, it's the green and yellow wires you're interested in.

My guess is bad grounds or screwed up turn signal wiring but start by pulling all the tail light bulbs then checking the green and yellow bulb contacts for voltage with ignition on and brake pedal pressed. If you get power your grounds aren't grounded.

If you don't, jump forward to the turn signal switch and do the same yellow green test there. If it works properly there you just have a bad connection somewhere between the turn signal switch and brake lights. If it doesn't there's a problem with the turn signal circuit and or switch and you need to do similar tests on that.

5. Squeaky192

Squeaky192 Veteran Member

All of the 2nd gen harnesses are the same in the front half, with the tail section differing based off of the taillight in each body change.

Page 80 of the manual online shows the #918 white wire for the 1970-76 cars that needs plugged into the turn signal connector: https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/20112.pdf

This wire is already terminated and just needs plugged in.

Do you have that white wire #918 pinned into Pin P of the turn signal connector?

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Nearly all the wires are plug and play...If you swapped the entire harness it should work regardless of the year (70-81). The problem you usually run into are loose or disconnected grounds.

7. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my wiring is original in my car, but I had to put in new taillight sockets because mine were shot. I bought them from Napa, and installed them. A couple months later I had issues. It wound up being the terminal for the ground wire Didn’t have enough tension to hold the wire in place on the socket, I tugged on it and it came right out. The temper on the material is wrong and it’s annealed too much making it soft and not springy enough. I cut it off and installed a female spade terminal that fit on the “tab” inside the socket where the ground came from. Never had an issue again! It was the same for all of the terminals I had. I also went to other stores and looked at online companies as well. They all use the cheap Chinese crappy terminals. They look correct, but material properties are wrong so tension isn’t maintained. Try giving a light tug on the ground, if it comes out, you know that it’s an issue.

8. mrluckies

Here’s the too soft terminal on the ground I’m talking about. It doesn’t have enough tension to stay in place.

2F9A7C21-E73D-4E14-B474-614EEB621D22.jpeg

Here’s a pic of the back of the socket. The black wire is pulled out and just above the hole it belongs in.
    691AC95D-DF15-4D49-B41A-B17CDB9E0A2E.jpeg

I used the 3/16” female spade terminal on the wire and then slipped it on the tab inside the hole.

BF9C3AF1-2939-45DB-BE53-1DF74AD78833.jpeg 8CFC3B3A-EEF1-4C83-89C3-C1F6B8CDE563.jpeg

This was on a 70. Not sure if your sockets are different.

9. mrluckies

Here’s the metal part of another socket I took out. The piece with the rectangular hole is the ground tab that would be inside the hole. This is what you want to slide the spade terminal onto.

I originally tried soldering a wire onto this metal piece while still in the plastic part and made a mess. Then I realized it was a standard 3/16” (not the usual 1/4”) male spade. Much easier fix!
    66DB99B8-05FB-4502-A318-1468866AFB00.jpeg

10. azkeebler

azkeebler Veteran Member

I know when i swapped a 78 harness into my 70,i had to swap a wire at the turn switch for the brakes. This is because on 78 through 81, the brakes are one their own circuit, separate blinkers, where as the 70 brake lights feed through the turn signal switch.
    Recheck your power source terminals for your brake. I don't remember which side i swapped, but was simple. Pretty sure it was a white wire at the turn switch that needs brake switch power. 1st terminal next to green.
    Im certain your #918 wire plugs into turn signal harness next to dark green.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019