Painless vs American Autowire

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by SS Performance, Jun 27, 2017.

1. SS Performance

SS Performance Veteran Member

I'm planning to replace the wiring in my 70.

I'm looking at the Painless 20112 and the American Autowire 510034.

The painless is a 26 circuit I'm not sure how many circuits the American is.

The Painless is about $900 the American is about $600.

I do have a discount coupon for 25% off with Painless (won it at Camaro Nationals auction)

Wondering if anyone has used either and what they think of it.

Thanks
    Craig

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think it depends on your plans with the car. - I have a 1970 Camaro and chose the American Autowire for the underhood ( both circuits for engine and lights) and another one for the trunk. My car is as close to stock as it can get and I try to keep it that way. - I was extremely pleased with the American Autowire set. - It was wire for wire, correct color, correct length, correct wire gauge and correct socket for everything it replaced. -

The AAW looks and functions as original, however, there are no additional provisions for things like electric fans, electric fuel pumps, amplifiers, etc. - I believe those are the things you would be getting with the 26 circuit Painless. If you are going for originality, I highly recommend the American Autowire. - If your going with some mods. Painless may be the way to go.

--

3. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1 ^^^ Great review of the pros and cons of both.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

unless you buy their classic update series.

IMO for stock replacement AAW hands down. After that i guess it's more personal preference.

5. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

I have a painless harness from the early 2000's. It is the 26 circuit muscle car harness 20102. I bought this before the specific camaro harness was made by them. Anyways, it works awesome and despite sitting for over 10 years, i hooked everything back up and it all works. It is a quality harness and has leads for electric fans, electric fuel pumps, etc.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Be careful of the assumptions here....The Painless harness does not have provisions for modern amenities. Mine did not give me electric fans...Amps that I recall seeing (Who has these circuits??). There is a circuit for an electric fuel pump, but that's about it. The design is changed up a little from factory such as the horn relay is on the fuse box, the fuses are blade style. The set-up also has provisions for all the "optional" equipment like courtesy lights, delay/pulse wipers, and power windows and locks (which is a bonus). It also is set-up to run a newer style alternator is desired. Frankly I was not happy with Painless because I like things to be perfect. Even though the harness was easily labeled, the wires were too long or too short in many instances. Currently I have a make-do wire to make my ignition switch work because the painless neutral safety wire is extremely too short to connect to the switch. The courtesy lights are cool, but the passenger side is about 2 feet too short. They expect you to splice the existing dome light wire to the harness rather then providing a new wire to the light....bottom line too much crap to deal with when you buy a direct fit replacement that cost almost a grand!!.

I modified it quite a bit...especially to work with the LS and the alternator location. I would suggest a kit you crimp your own ends on.

Granted you have a 25% off coupon and I think you can get powerbraid free with the kit, I would give AAW a try first.

Compare what each offers and go from there. Wire is Wire....it comes down to the quality and care of the assembly to make your install headache free.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  7. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

I Used the Painless kit when I put my car back together, I thought it went together rather good. It did have a few set back with mentioned wire lengths, but for me those were minor issues, since my car is no longer stock, so nothing is 100% perfect anyways. I was most impressed by the install booklet that comes with the painless, full color pictures that give a clear view of what things look like and where to install. That made the job much simpler for me.

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used AAW. I had a hand on every wire in the car and used the ones I wanted to use. Good kit.