Paint and Body work in OKC

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by Fuego del Sol, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Fuego del Sol

Fuego del Sol Member

Well, i've got all the engine and transmission work out of the way. Got all the suspenssion reworked. New inererior almost completed...

Now it's time to start thinking about paint and body work. Do any of you have any suggestions on this. I don't want to spend a fortune, as the car is just not going to be worth that much for a long time. But, I don't want to have bottom level work done either. In the end, this is for me to enjoy....

I also have some rust forming at the bottoms of the doors. When I bought the car, both door panels were full of fiberglass insulation (sound deadning I suppose), that was soaked through and just sitting in there causing problems. I figure I'll be getting new door assemblies.

------------------
    1980 Z28
    2002 Mustang GT

2. Mousehouse

Mousehouse Veteran Member

If the bottom of the doors are starting to rust and it is pretty bad then they will have to be replaced or repaired. I would probably repair them and replace the door skins.

Depending on what you want to spend will determine who you have paint the car. Is the body in good shape (no body work)? Is the paint in good shape or is it starting to crack and discolor? If you are going to drop the car off at a body shop and expect them to do everything I think it will cost you $2000-3000 and that is on the low side. You might be able to get it done cheaper but the paint and body work won't be as good.

3. Fuego del Sol

Fuego del Sol Member

The doors are pretty bad on the inside. The drain holes at the bottom were all blocked, so they were basically just sitting full of water.... and uhhh MOLD!

The car started out as a silver color, then it was more charcoal and now it's blue... The last two colors are pretty low quality paints, and are comming off. I want to keep a blue color - kinda fond of it now.

I'm planning on dropping the car off. But here's the deal. When I get done I wnat a car that looks good (not a show winner) that I can drive all I want. That's the fun of this car is driving it, and I want to keep that.

Soooo... What kind of paint, and where?

4. Mousehouse

You could have them spray a single stage paint but I would go with a base coat clear coat instead.

With that many different colors and layers of paint on the car I would suggest stripping it to bare metal and starting from scratch. You can do this yourself if you want. You need a good grinder or paint stripper and a lot of time. The only thing you will need to do is mark all of the areas that had body work or bondo. This makes it easier for the body shop to find and fix those areas.

I would suggest talking to some of the guys in your area that have nice paint jobs and see where they had them done. I haven't been in the body shop field in a while so I don't know any shops I would recommend in your price range. A friend of mine might be willing to do it but I don't know what he would charge you. His shop is in Minco, Oklahoma (40 minutes west of OKC). We did the body work and paint on my car at his shop a couple of years ago. If you want his number sent me an email.

[This message has been edited by Mousehouse (edited January 20, 2004).]

5. 81ZMouse

81ZMouse Veteran Member

Hey Martin,

Last time I checked Minco was about 40 miles West-Southwest of OKC, not East. Not trying to be picky, but just don't want to misinform. Maybe you're talking about McLoud????

Shane

------------------
    81 Z-28
    377ci
    Mouse Racing

[This message has been edited by 81ZMouse (edited January 20, 2004).]

6. Mousehouse

Sorry about that. I was trying to do two things at once.

Chewing gum and typing can be hard for some people. [​IMG]

7. Fuego del Sol

Fuego del Sol Member

That's OK... I know where Minco is.

I figured on this being about a 3-4K deal when it's all done.

The thing I keep running into in with shops in the area.... They want to work on new cars, and simply replace parts. I'll try asking around some more.

8. Fuego del Sol

Fuego del Sol Member

OK, for those of you that are interested....

I have three quotes, and another coming. They have come in at $5500.00, $7300,00, and a flat $5000.00

I have high confidence in the two lower quotes, and less in the highest one... odd.

I'm just not sure that this car needs a 5K paint job. As I said before, I drive the car on the street, cruising and stuff. No racing, no showing. It's just for me - therapy for the head I guess....

whacha think?

9. Mousehouse

Which one did Jeff give you?

As a lot of people have posted before. Most body shops don't like doing total body and paint work. Most like the little insurance jobs that take a day or two and there gone. Yours will probably take several weeks and that is why the price reflects it.

If the body shop that you use will allow you to strip the car down that will save you money. Those prices are about right for what you want done. The body work is the time consumer. Painting the car doesn't take but half a day.

Jeff and I painted mine and I don't know how much it would cost to do it again. I am going to repaint it again. I missed a few small dents and the body work in areas that I did I would like to redo.

We removed the glass, interior, front and rear bumper, doors and fenders when we painted mine. I would say my body work and paint would be in the $7000-8000 range. But since I have changed doors if I can't get the paint to match I am screwed and will have to paint the whole car again.

10. Fuego del Sol

Fuego del Sol Member

Didn't get one from Jeff yet... We gotta plan a meet-up in OKC.

You said it though. Most of the shops I called didn't even want to talk to me. They only do collision repair.

Custom Concepts at 89th and Shields impressed me the most. Those guys are really doing body work. Like artwork kinda stuff. The only place I've seen that understands, it's metal, it can be reshaped to about anything you can dream up. I wasn't too crazy about the things that they were doing for other people - too far out there for me... But the talent and passion was obvious.

Just can't decide if the car is worth it. I keep flipping from finish it out to sell it.... arrrrghh!