Paint Chips....how best to fix

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Henrykjr, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Henrykjr

Henrykjr Member

Hey guys,
    My 79 Z-28 painted in base coat / clear coat #11 white has some chips on the fenders I need to repair.

What is the best way to either have this done or do it myself. I know there are some pretty good paint chip guys out there but I cant seem to find anybody here in Central Florida.

At thr same time I've looked at the Dr. Color Chip stuff......it has mixed reviews.

Can anyone help?

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Find a good paint store and have them mix up 4 to 8oz of the 1979 GM code 11 in single stage, like Axalta formula 5338N in ChromaPremier. Buy a small amount of the matching activator and mix accordingly. Use a fine touch up brush, only mix a thimble full at a time as it will harden.

GoldenOne7710 and Smokey15 like this.
  3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

My painter is getting ready to address some chips on the very front edge of the doors of my car. His explanation was nearly identical to the above method.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had Napa make me a rattle can with my code and I either tape up the area (chip only) or I spray a bit in the lid and use an artist fine brush to apply into the chip. I layer the paint high enough to sand. I use a paper binder hole punch for my sand paper and 2 way tape which I stick on the end of a pencil, eraser end. Then I wet sand in circles with 400, 600 then 2000. I don’t bother with clear on small chips. Then I buff it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    dcozzi likes this.
  5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

^^ nice option, but a lot of work for the end results. The Napa cans are generally machine enamel 1K, and looking at the ultimate durability with moisture sealing without the buffing the activated Single Stage is the best option for solid colours, pearls/met. go with base coat and good activated clear if possible.

If you don't have small artists brushes, you can make your own with masking tape, easy and you can make 100's with one roll of tape.

6. COPO

My paint is Centari which is acrylic enamel.

7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it has metal flake in it, brushing won't be an option. It lays differently when sprayed then being brushed.

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Wow Centari, that brings back memories!! Started painting on that system, and Lucite LOL. Keep your old paint safe, can't get that anymore up in Canada.

Correct, most Pearls & Metallics will dabb darker, but OK for touch up (with clear), air brush by a pro is best, depends how fussy you are.

9. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

I've had success with Dr. Color Chip on smaller chips.

10. COPO

Still have the paint job from 1985. Centari with clear on top.

[​IMG]

mrfleet12 likes this.