Paint frustration (good now) and observations

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 79zdream, Nov 7, 2014.

1. 79zdream

79zdream Veteran Member

I'm in the paint process now and have been frustrated and learned a lot. 1st time car painter and was getting world class orange peel in primer, base, and clear. The primer was no problem. I wet sanded it smooth. Shot the base, orange peel. Finally I just sprayed clear over it to see how noticeable it would be, mistake.

Did more research, sanded it back down, looked at factory paint jobs, and shot the base again with near perfect results. I found that all factory jobs have orange peel, some more than others. I've seen several $80k BMW's lately and they are horrible. Just been looking at black cars since that's what I'm spraying. I saw a Ford Taurus the other day and it was phenominal. Anyway I believe my results are better than factory BMW (not saying much) paint jobs.

All the pros (online and on you tube) said spray with 10psi at the nozzle. No way to measure it there so they say 26-28psi going in. Well I finally found some tips about modifying my cheap HF gun and a tip to spray at much higher psi. Did the mods and sprayed base at 45psi. It went on and self leveled very nicely. The clear has a little orange peel but it gets wet sanded, buffed, and polished so I believe it will be fine.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I used the HF purple gun just for primer. I bought a 100.00 hvlp gun for base an clear an found out there's a big difference between the two. Even thou it was a some what cheaper gun than a Sata, I should say a lot cheaper it sprayed so much better than the HF gun. I have regulators on both guns an found that using 22,23 psi at the gun sprayed pretty dam good. I had some OP on the clear but not a lot. Best way to get the OP off is to wet sand with 1000 to the point that about 3/4's of it is gone then change to 1200 until its all gone, then 1500 to finish an buff after that. Where I had no OP I started with 1200 then 1500. Took me a couple of weeks. And when you buff try to to it outside you'll be slinging compound off the buff pad every where.

3. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

I painted mine in single stage black. Right out of the gun it was orange peel central. I cut it and buffed it and it's very nice. Not show perfect, but very nice.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

4. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Looks great! Black is by far the hardest paint to do, as it shows every imperfection.

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Something to note, that I always see people confusing, is that when people quote inlet pressures for spray guns, that is what your regulator should read w/ the trigger pulled, not what the regulator reads w/ the gun not spraying.

6. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

@OP. Yes, we've all learned the hard way. I always get better results with upping the PSI at the gun. Good insight.

7. 79zdream

79zdream Veteran Member

Now you tell me;)

Live and learn.

57 Plymouth - very nice :bowtie:

8. 79zdream

79zdream Veteran Member

Ok, 3rd times a charm. I was able to lay down the base just fine with the Harbor Freight cheapy. Unfortunately I was not experienced enough to know that the clear wasn't going on smooth enough and did the whole car. It was rough as s#!t (world class orange peel) so I sanded it down AGAIN. :mad:

Today I bought a DeVilbliss. The difference is night and day. $235 for the gun, 4 mixing cups, some tack rags, and tax. That stupid HF gun cost me an extra $250 in paint and sore arms.

The new gun atomizes base and clear very well and I got the results I was looking for, FINALLY. Only took me 3 weeks to paint, but I learned a lot, and now I can fix the little ding in my 2500 Silverado. :)

Will post pictures in my project thread soon.

One more thing. The new gun came with a regulator to put at the gun. I hooked it up temporarily to monitor pressure going into the gun. The book said 23psi at base of gun to get 10psi at the cap. My air line from the wall regulator to the gun is 20' and bigger than 1/4" ( I think it's 3/8".) I had to put my wall regulator at 62psi to get 23psi at the gun when the trigger is pulled. I was losing almost 40psi in 20'of 3/8 hose. :eek: After getting the wall regulator set I removed the one at the gun to make it less bulky.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  9. 1ton454

1ton454 Member

I have worked I paint shop at G.M. for 28 years some days are better than others but you cant stop production because of orange peal so every manufacturer has it at times.

10. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

When I first got a job painting, an old painter would always tell me "Ya gotta have air to break up the paint brother!". Turns out he was right, a wide fan and an open trigger does need a good amount of air to lay it down well and it'll keep it from running too.