Paint opinions please

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Greg73Z28, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know this is a loaded question that has been discussed on a few occasions, but I am really struggling with this for some reason so I thought it might help to read a few of your thoughts on my quandry. I have enjoyed this site for so long, that I place a lot of value on the thoughts of our members.

Here are a couple of shots of my 73 Type LT Z28:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a little damage in the Joplin tornado and is just now headed to the paint booth. This is a numbers matching car throughout that I have "over" restored, but for the most part remained true to the original stuff. My quandry is this: Even though you could order the Type LT Z28 with the stripes, I don't believe this one came with them due to the lack of a stripe code on the trim tag (Build sheet was long gone). When I restored the car some 10 years ago, I just couldn't help myself and added them. I put the Z28 fender emblems on the car because that is what it had when I bought the car back in 89, and I know there are various opinions on what came on them due to parts availability and the like, but that could be changed as well. Now is my chance to make the car correct, but I keep going back and forth on it. When I go to shows or look at cars, I find myself drawn to original vehicles, but the stripes do look good.

To stripe or not to stripe? What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Greg

2. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the stripes

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's your car... Build it how you want it. The "original" thing only matters if you plan to show it for trophies/awards or you plan to sell it ... and it doesn't sound like you have any plan to sell it anytime soon. Don't make decisions based on what you think a future buyer will like or won't like.

I actually like the stripes on early second gens and think they look good on your car. If you like them, definitely keep them!

4. TDPalmer

TDPalmer Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

stripes!

5. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

I don't think painting stripes on your 73 is going to decrease the value. Is it possible the stripes were dealer added? I personally think it looks better with stripes.. Mike

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  6. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Greg, here is my take and it is only an opinion:

1. Stripes are overdone, they should, in my humble opinion, ONLY be on the cars that they were supposed to be on. That is only one model z28 (which you have). Everybody puts them on every second gen (not just the 70-3's) hence my rule #2

2. Early second generation Camaros look bare without the stripes. I can prove it as I have one in my garage (well kind of so I will explain)

My points may seem to contradict each other. I built a resto mod base coupe, NOT a Z I painted it yellow and put black stripes on it. I have even heard the stripes referred to as SS stripes and that is not accurate. If the car is not a Z then did it really earn it stripes?

The second time I painted my car I opted for a color closer to original, Mulsane Blue, I plan to badge it SS, that meant NO stripes from my rules above SO I compromised and ghosted white pearl stripes onto the blue. They are so faint, intentionally that you ahve to looke for them. Best of all worlds by my thinking, base coupe, badged SS with a hint of tribute to the Z28 pack. Yeah I know I am weird.

IF I had a trure, real, numbers match Z, even if the stripes were deleted or even if it were an LT without them, I would proudly paint the factory stripes in the highest contrast white or black I could find.

At car shows, I really doubt that anybody will know enough to call you out for it. Plain and simple, on a Z the stripes are earned and they just look right. The hood is so big it looks naked without something to break it up.

All opinion, supposition and conjecture on my part. I really hope that you will keep the stripes. Good luck on the new paint!

Brent
    Edited to add: That is a beautiful original car. If you do get stripes, make sure that the painter lays them out better than what is on the car now (unless the picture is bad they are not right). It is not very difficult to get them correct. Sorry if you painted them on there!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Stripe it.....or don't.:cool:

8. iceman

iceman Veteran Member

stripes

9. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Stripes. I know I would miss them if it were my car

10. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I like the stripes also. Not saying that you should do this but every time I have painted those stripes on I only left 4" in the center between the stripes. I think they look better a little wider. It may or may not be "the way the factory did it" but its the way I do it.