Paint shop jail! Should I bail?

RickM

Veteran Member
Apr 16, 2004
Gaithersburg, MD
If you were in my situation several years ago, I would be asking, where else can you go after you pull the car? If you have other shops to take it to, with a similar price point then pull it. In my situation I could only find 2 people who were willing to do a full paint job, and I live in the 3rd largest city in Maryland. I went with a young kid who showed me some of his prior work at another shop so I decided to give him a shot, especially after he came to my house, looked the car over and gave me a $5500 dollar price, no estimate, a firm price. He did say it would be done in 2 months, which turned into 20 months. I paid him $500 dollars to get started, and paid him no more until I saw progress. After he got the car in epoxy I paid some more, after in primer I paid some more. I was in paint jail and the progress was slow, I kept on him and am grateful that he finished even after 20 months. I did go to the other shop who said they would paint my car after I got so frustrated when there was no progress for months on end. Yes they said they would paint the car but only after they stripped off the epoxy and primer since they used Silken products and would not paint over an unknown base. At that point I was $3500 into the painter and did not want to start all over (with a much higher estimate, now that they would have to strip the car). So I rode it out with my guy since I felt like I was truly in 'Paint Jail" and no where to go. Luckily for me he finished my car and then went out of business and I am so thankful for him doing that. Was the paint job perfect? Hell No. But it looks damn good to the casual observer. I know where all of the faults are, but unless you look really close you cant see them.

So, I think if you can hold on for a few more months you might want to consider it.

Getting my car painted was, by far, the worst part of my generally very satisfying restoration.

Good Luck

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
Cool, now keep on them, give em sob story …. boy I’m glad you guys are on it …. She’s been hear a bit!!!! Bring some snacks that always helps, chip in if ya can , anything to keep progress going , it is easy to put a resto on the back burner when insurance stuff comes in

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
Cool, now keep on them, give em sob story …. boy I’m glad you guys are on it …. She’s been hear a bit!!!! Bring some snacks that always helps, chip in if ya can , anything to keep progress going , it is easy to put a resto on the back burner when insurance stuff comes in
are you kidding! that ship sailed looong ago.
OP lawyer up ... while there may be a place remaining in the recovery line!

I've seen some good work come from body shop depts of local/regional tech/voc schools.

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
My problem was not so much lack of paint shops, but lack of QUALITY paint shops. I probably interviewed 10 shops before choosing one. I really lucked out with him, 30 days door to door.

bondora68

Veteran Member
Dec 14, 2014
Mobile, AL
I had a good talk with the owner yesterday. He told me that the car should be painted within my 10 day timeframe. He said he has purchased the paint. We discussed how the stripes were to be applied. I still don't believe he will do it in 10 days but I'm hoping for good progress if not completion by then. I did not get a good feeling however when I walked in and he was working on his "girlfriend's " car and not mine.....We shall see.

Dave Nelson

Veteran Member
Dec 19, 2003
Vineland N.J USA
I had a good talk with the owner yesterday. He told me that the car should be painted within my 10 day timeframe. He said he has purchased the paint. We discussed how the stripes were to be applied. I still don't believe he will do it in 10 days but I'm hoping for good progress if not completion by then. I did not get a good feeling however when I walked in and he was working on his "girlfriend's " car and not mine.....We shall see.
His girlfriend is providing something you can't.