Painting a 1981 Z28?

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by BradyJack, May 22, 2020.

1. BradyJack

BradyJack New Member

Hello, I am just wondering what the cost would be to paint a 1981 Z28 with t-tops? It would be a full body paint job in white. If anyone has had to paint, please let me know what you paid.
    Thanks

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

$10K...How good do you want it? You can get typical body and paint pretty cheap. If you want it done right...Its going to cost you big bucks. The guy who had my car went cheap...Cost him about $4500 and they simply masked off the trim instead of removing it. Didn't take the time to smooth the body filler so there are some signs of it in the paint....Its a OK job...will not last....already flaking off.

3. Wolfman911

Wolfman911 Member

I need mine painted too. The body is pretty straight with no rust, and so far I've been told by most places that they wouldn't touch it for less than $10k, but was also quoted $6k by a reputable shop.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If its really just a scuff and paint....it can be done pretty cheap. Heck, if my body was that great I would scuff it myself and take it to MACCO.

5. LJProvost

LJProvost New Member

I was quoted about $10k for mine as well, from a well established shop. I'm in New England so mine has the typical rusty areas.

6. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

I stripped the paint myself and removed all the stuff that wasn't getting paint so my painter only had to do body work and paint.

Still he had to do a lot of work. Removing doors, fenders, trunk and hood is a lot of effort but is probably necessary to do it right.

Still in the end it going to cost me around $6500 but I think it is going to turn out nice.

RickM

serpent710 likes this.
  7. 78BlueGreen Z28

78BlueGreen Z28 New Member

Painted my 78 Z28 the original blue green metallic which I suspect because of the metallic will be more expensive than white. Between primer, sealer, base coat and clear I have over $3000 in paint alone using PPG paint. 78 Z28.png

RickM likes this.