Painting/Wall to Wall carpeting

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Sep 22, 2020.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Getting ready to paint the floor molding...... How do I keep the paint off the carpeting which is up against the molding. Is tape the only answer?

2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember years ago using a long plastic thing, sort of like a spreader, as I painted along the molding. I wedged it down into the corner between the molding and the carpet. But I think some small bit of carpet would touch the fresh paint when I lifted it up.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

when we had carpet my wife would run 2 inch tape on carpet beside baseboard before we put down plastic drop cloth. Plastic drop cloth is slippery

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Home Depot has things to use. I got one that is just a long straight edge with a plastic handle like a scraper. This one @ H/D seems huge. I use my empty beer cases to make long runs. Tape them together. B/C when you paint then pull the tool away it lets the carpet contact the molding. Getting the tape to stick to the bottom edge of the molding is the fun part. Got to clean real well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-36-...MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-206837499-_-N

5. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Cardboard or Masonite straps wedged under if you dont use the 2' straight edge

6. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I used a 36x12 in piece of thin aluminum. Worked great and easy cleanup.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2" tape "wedged" under molding stuck to carpet. just use a 4" bondo spreader to "shove" it under while depressing the carpet. all depends on how far away they put the tack strip

8. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Go to home depot and pick up some paint shields. You can get disposable cardboard ones(do not recommend) or the long plastic ones. Press the shield between the carped and baseboard and paint but yes some of the carpet fibers will get into the paint but it won't be as bad as you think. You could also use the shield to hold the carpet down, pull slightly away from baseboard giving you a small width of carpet to lay in some 2" blue or green masking tape. That may hold down the fibers long enough for the paint to dry. And keep some very wet cloths at the ready because you will undoubtably drip somewhere on the carpet and the wetter you get that spot right away, the better chance you have of diluting and lifting that paint out of the carpet.