smartjaw

Jun 11, 2011
Worcester, MA
I used to have an auto shop (and a 71 Camaro with A/C) and years later, I was able to find a 73 LT with a 350 that used to have A/C. My problem is, ordering a complete A/C system (retro air, vintage air, old air, etc.) is still a pandemic 2-3 month wait according to most of the part houses I've spoken with. So I need pretty much everything (compressor, driver-side compressor bracket, receiver/drier, firewall grommet, duct work, condenser, expansion valve) except the vents. Does anyone have a list for their recent purchase of individual A/C components they've made? I don't care if I have to order from 17 different vendors - thing is, my whole front end is torn down and now is the time to get all these components installed.

Many thanks to those who have answered my previous questions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.36.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.36.50 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^That's a good start but it doesn't include the compressor, hoses or condenser.

I got several items from Old Air almost 2 years ago and they were shipping things to my door in only a couple of days.
I have no idea about the present lead time for any vendor of A/C products.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Yeah, compressors you can get from anywhere...(though, get an actual Sanden, not a "Sanden-style" knock off).

I had to do custom hoses on mine anyway for how I wanted to route them. The condenser is probably pretty generic too.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I went with a Pro6Ten compressor (Old Air) because it fit the factory brackets/hoses and is compatible with R-12 and R-134a refrigerant. (I already had a stash of R-12.)

If you don't have the factory brackets... You may want to go with a Sanden and a matching bracket kit.

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Unless you're after oringal appearance, I'd probably go with a Sanden. Lighter, more efficient, etc.

Even compared to the more modern R4s, I cam tell the difference when I switched to the Sanden.