Pardner Protector 12 gauge pump.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by pdq67, Aug 30, 2009.

1. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Is it any good??

It's made in China...

$200/each at Dicks Sporting Goods.

Or should I think harder about a Mossberg Persuader for $300???

pdq67

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not familiar with them, but can't go wrong with a Mossberg!

3. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

those 12 gauge chineese pumps work ok but the finish and all isnt to good, good for truck gun or a cabin leave over. i would buy a used police 12 ga. at a gun shop, we have a shop here that sells ithicas and remington's for 200 bucks.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'd agree that a used Ithica or Remington would be a better choice. Cheap guns usually work like cheap guns. I have a Remington, a Marlin, and an Ithica. They all are quality guns. I used to have a Mossberg, and it had a rough crude action compared to the other brands.

5. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Camo one is my Mossberg, it will shoot the 3 in shells. It's a really nice gun in my opinion.

[​IMG]

The other shotgun is my Browning Gold Clay semi auto 12 ga. and I got 2 more that's not in this pic.

One of them is the cheapest you can get, a Salvage, I think I gave $160 for it new and it's been one of the best shotgun I've had when dove hunting. I've tweaked it for my liking but nothing extreme.

6. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Pardner Protector. It's an awesome deal for the price and the amount of gun you get. It's also the same gun as the Norinco 982 or 981 (Hawk 982) with a slightly different receiver (humpback style). I hate, Hate, HATE the Remington 870 Express (closest comparable gun) and would recommend the PP for the following reasons:

-better locking lug location
    -better shell lifter design
    -parkerized not "rough blued"
    -metal trigger guard (compared to the 870 Express)
    -machined extractor
    -most 870 accessories fit
    -H&R NEF is owned by the same parent company as Remington and Marlin and backed with the same warranty

I'm a Mossberg fan myself because I prefer the ergonomics and design over the Remington, but if you're looking for an improved Remington clone that's NEW then the PP is your best bet.

Ironically, I would steer you away from the Mossberg Persuader if you plan to keep the pistol grip on it. The better location of the slide release and safety on the rifle stock Mossberg becomes useless once a pistol grip is installed. If you are set on a pistol grip, that's pretty much the only time I'd recommend an 870 over a 500.

7. hardline_42

Double tap

8. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You must have really felt strongly about that post, lol.

I have a Mossberg Model 500 that's chambered for 3" shells... used it for maybe 3 seasons, now it won't chamber a shell from the magazine. Both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 Express are complete pos's if you're going to run anything other than bird shot, rock salt, or 2-3/4" buckshot through them.... IMHO.

9. hardline_42

LOL! Ya Jim, it's like Ford vs. Chevy for me. FWIW, I don't use 3" shells for anything and I've never had a problem with any of my many Mossbergs. I'm not saying the Wingmaster and Police 870s are bad guns, I just can't use them. I can't load the magazines without getting my thumb-cuticle chewed off by the lift gate (the 500 lift gate stays in the up position), I can't release the slidelock without breaking my grip (the 500 slidelock can easily be reached with the middle finger of your strong hand without removing your finger from the trigger guard) and the cross-bolt safety is counter-intuitive compared to all my other guns.

10. Lobsterbak

Lobsterbak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a pardner protector...love it. Mine currently has a collaspible butt stock, picatinny rail...ghost ring sights etc :) Id post up some pics but my son decided to drop my camera in the pool :screwup: