Pardner Protector 12 gauge pump.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by pdq67, Aug 30, 2009.

1. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree, you get what you pay for with shotguns and 870 expresses and mossbergs are a fine example of that! Now I have an 870 special purpose from back in the 80's and it is a much much nicer gun than the new cheepo remingtons! I also have a mossberg 500 20 gauge that I shot when I was younger no problems really but it is definitely a cheap made gun when held next to 870 wingmasters or browning bps's.

2. hardline_42

hardline_42 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I woudln't compare the Mossy 500 to a Wingmaster, Police Magnum, or Special Purpose. For that comparison you have to go to the Mossy 590-A1:

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=26

3. BLUE72CAMARO

The specail purpose I have is not a home defense gun I would guess it was a midrange gun back in the day, not as nice as a wingmaster and a matte finish on it but much nicer than the expresses. To be perfectly honest I have never been impressed with any of mossbergs shotguns, but all my guns are used as hunting guns not home defense.

4. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

I really wish Dad would have left his 3" Model 12 to me when he died.
    It was an early '50's shotgun.

pdq67

5. sinner4

sinner4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know a lot of people like the Mosberg 500. I have had 2 870's, and now I've been shooting a Benelli Super Nova a bunch at the Sporting Clays. Never had a problem with any. Until tonight, I shot a broken Moss 500 12g for the first time. I got it from a yard sale for $10, the bolt slide was broken. Shot a few rounds of buck shot at a dish network sign. Put 9 very large holes in it with each shot.

Now for the action with each gun, the Benelli has the best slide, then the 870 and the Moss 500 is the worst. Even below that is the Mossberg mod 88 12g that you can get for $177 from Wally World.

With a couple hours working on each Mossberg action with a lot of sanding and polishing they feel a lot better.

So I guess if you pay a lot for the topend gun that might make you happy, OR work on the cheap gun and wish you payed 100 more for the much better one.

EDIT: The top 7 Manurfactures of Pump Shot Guns according to
    http://hunting.about.com/od/shotgun/tp/top_pump_shotguns.htm

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  6. sinner4

sinner4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

here are the scatter guns I have now.
    There is one 20 gauge in the mix, my Daughter shoots that one.
    [​IMG]
    The 870 and the 500
    [​IMG]
    The Benelli's[​IMG]
    The Mossberg's, the 500 and the Mod 88 Maverick
    [​IMG]
    The Maverick with the cleaned up Bolt Slide.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ya ya ya, I know I have too many, but the price was right on all of them...

7. BLUE72CAMARO

Yeah I am pretty well armed when it comes to shotguns myself.

the list
    Beretta 391 Teknys gold trap x 12ga.
    Beretta 391 xtrema 2 3 1/2" 12ga.
    Beretta 390 super trap 12ga.
    Browning BPS 3 1/2" 12 ga.
    Remington 870 special purpose 12ga.
    Mossberg 500 20 ga.
    Winchester Model 42 .410
    Mossberg bolt action .410

8. BushmasterRAZ

BushmasterRAZ New Member

what what? howd you get the rail on there and what ghoast rings fit this bastard of a gun!

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know anything about Pardner... but I want you to ask yourself a question:
    If this is a true personal defense gun, do you want the cheapest thing out there?

VangComp (the finest shotgun shop in the US) is selling their modified Mossberg 500's for $595
    I'd be more than willing to stake my life on that gun. Not so sure about a $200 Chinese knock-off
    www.vangcomp.com

10. 80nastydragZ

80nastydragZ Veteran Member

I used to run the gun counter at a Dicks Sporting Goods until 8 months ago. The Pardners are a good price, last year they went as low as 160-180. But I did have quite a few come back to me with problems, or while I was putting them together for the shelf have problems. But most of the time they will never have an issue, they are very heavy though. All the metal is a cheaper metal throughout the gun.

I would trust a mossberg with my life and I would feel uncomfortable with a pardner just because Ive seen the problems. Out of 70 pardners I saw problems with 1-5 of them and those are problems that surfaced from the beginnings of ownership or before ownership not even 10 years down the road. For the majority of gun owners, the gun is a great fit and works perfectly.

Even though I hated working retail, Dicks is a great place to buy a gun from. They will take care of you basically for life on the gun should something go wrong.