Parking brake, how much should I try keeping it?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by SPG, Feb 18, 2021.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

This sounds silly, but how much should I care about trying to keep my ebrake? I'm getting a 9" full float for my rear and I live near a company called chassisworks so I can just pick it up locally. I originally did not want to go with them (even though I'm using their torque arm already) because the brakes for their full float don't fit my 15" rims.
    I actually want to go with strange because I can get a full float along with a brake kit that fits my stupid rim choice https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdRear?itemno=140-12420
    I ended up talking with them and they suggest I can probably get chassisworks to weld on strange ford ends since they're a vendor.

So I circle back to them.
    They apparently do have a brake kit for their own floater option but it's not listed on their website (which is dumb but that's their choice I guess) it actually has better clearance than the strange wilwood kit and uses a bigger caliper

Here is the problem though, it doesn't have an ebrake, and I don't really think I can add one, at least not easily. So what I want to know is how much should I care about keeping the ebrake? I have an automatic, so in theory it shouldn't....really matter, but having a lever in the car that does literally nothing sounds dumb (nothing stops me from just not putting it back in I guess)

The main thing that makes me consider this is the fact I have more clearance for the rim, because right now it's already a tight fit. A bigger brake is neat but your front matters more than your rear.

Here is the PDF of the chassisworks brake kit

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Check the legal requirements in your area. Although inspectors in the states don’t always check the e brake, it’s the kind of thing insurance companies and lawyers will screw you on if something happens.

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Will park on hills often? Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Want to carry a wheel chock around with you? Not certain as mentioned about local laws and such. I can tell you that because my Camaro didn't when I got it, it rolled down the driveway on me...and scuffed my buddy's trike. You bet your butt, mine has one now.

4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

If it's an auto, and you don't have annual inspections, who cares. I use mine,but only to keep the cables from seizing, mostly, and even then only on my driveway which has a slight incline. Otherwise, how often does one use a parking brake in everyday driving? 4-speed is another story altogether. For that I'd make the effort.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You brought up a project that I have kicked the can down the road on....I have everything but the cables and haven't attempted to work it out yet. My car is a T56...so I should really have one that works so it doesn't get away from me on an incline and roll away. I had a scare one time as I have an incline going up into my shop...I had the car outside on the incline washing off the shop dust. I kicked the chock out and couldn't get it pushed uphill by myself and the car almost got away from me and had to yell at my wife to help me get the wheels chocked while I held it from rolling.

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

The car will be an automatic, if it was a manual this wouldn't even be a question. You could argue putting an automatic in park is safer than the ebrake. The worst incline this car would probably see is my driveway. It might see the roads of SF in its life time.....but I don't think I'd ever park on those hills in any car.

since I have a 1975 my car is exempt from smog, and subsequently safety inspections as they'd happen at the same time. Insurance on the other hand, they'd probably care, I would have to make a few phone calls though.

7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

The insurance question is only one you can answer. Really, I can guarantee you that they will tell you that you can't modify your car. Lol, I'm firmly of the belief that it is better to ask forgiveness than permission, but I also understand that people are (perhaps correctly) afraid of insurance companies using any excuse they can in getting out of paying up.

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

the car is getting a gen v lt engine, in terms of insurance the brake is the least of my concerns haha
    I believe companies like hagerty have specific plans for cars that are this modified.

9. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

tossed mine, in all my personal vehicles i cant ever remember a time ive used one. or ever will. dont live in the big city though. if my insurance company gives me guff about doing damage to another persons vehicle, thats my fault, they will never see another dollar of mine. i pay them, they dont pay me.

10. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Hagerty has been excellent for me, so far. You're right, they don't even balk at tubs and other things like that.