Parking brake, how much should I try keeping it?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by SPG, Feb 18, 2021.

1. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

As I mentioned earlier, I don't often set the parking brake in my autos. There was a period of time when my wife wasn't setting her parking brake in her 5-speed, instead preferring to just leave it in first (it only works when you actually leave it in first). That story ends with me beating the leading edge of the driver's door with a small sledge and a 2x4 at night in the middle of winter. Most interestingly, but not altogether surprising, I wound up the villain in that story. Still not sure how, though! I guess if I knew that, I'd be a rich man.

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

The strange/wilwood setup looks nice, albeit pretty serious for a non competition car. If it fits your rim choice why do you need more clearance?

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Better to have it and not need it. If you ever lost a U joint/driveshaft/park pawl you know what I mean. If you're planning on not running an E brake, at least throw a wheel chock in the car.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yup, the time that I really like the ebrake is when hooking up to my camper. I can get the hitch ball under the tongue and set the brake so that it doesn't roll forward that little bit. If I don't use the ebrake, it rolls just enough that it won't slip onto the hitch ball easily. Plus like Lowend said, all that weight(7000# truck and 12500-13000# trailer) is a lot to ask out of that pawl.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I like that Idea. My Dad had a 68 Plymouth Fury III that took off down the hill with him in the trunk. We were packing to go camping. He forgot to set the parking brake. Auto trans but still let loose for a Holy Sh*T Moment. The car jumped the curb, took out the last neighbor's concrete potted plants bounced off the slight hill in the yard then missed a steel pole street sign and started to roll up a hill at the intersection. Then it started rolling down the hill backwards. I was was trying to grab the bumper to slow it down. Yeah right. I was around 10 yrs old. My Mom to the rescue. She jumped in and hit that E-Brake. Saved the day. or actually night. When it was all over, the curb jump took out one of the tie rods. The trip was postponed and I got my first experience at changing a Tie rod. So yeah I would want an E-brake.

SPG likes this.
  6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

it's a tight fit and it would make me feel more comfortable having a 1/4 of an inch instead of a few millimeters...

The actual reason this is being brought up though is that Chassisworks is being headstrong about using their stuff even though they're a strange vendor, and they're 100% capable of doing what I initially asked for.

7. Stelan

Stelan Member

hydraulic e brake
    upload_2021-3-25_20-14-1.png

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have never used the parking brake in my Camaro.

It would probably get stuck if I did.

I just hope I never have to use it as an Emergency brake.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What Brakes? I have a 9" full floater and I have an E-brake. You can easily keep it with C5 variant brake set-ups.

10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You're making the mistake of thinking that they care about what you do or don't do after they deny a claim
    I have a 4 speed so I use mine every time I drive it

Dave Nelson and BonzoHansen like this.