Parts microfiche /manual

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by TTR230, Aug 21, 2020.

1. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering if there was parts microfiche or an illustrated parts manual available for these cars? I come from a motorcycle background, and with bikes, the microfiche or a printed transcription of the fiche is everything. I have an assembly manual, but find that it's a bit unclear, print-wise. I did a search of the forum and found some posts referring to a parts manual but nothing else. A Google search came up with a "maybe" parts manual for an earlier ('75), but that's it.

How did the dealer look up parts in pre-computer days?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

A good start would be the factory assembly manual which most places that sell restoration parts for our cars sell. Not sure your year but here is an example.

https://www.camarocentral.com/1979_Camaro_Assembly_Manual_p/lit-13.htm

After that if more detail is required then on eBay look for the original Chevrolet parts and illustration manuals that the dealers use to use. I think they are called the chassis and body part catalog and the illustration catalog. You would need both of the and they are each about 3-4 inches thick.

3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I have an assembly manual, but it leaves a bit to be desired in some aspects. I will have a look to find those manuals. So far, my search thus far has been disappointing.

4. Camaromurph

5. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

That's great, thanks for your help, its good to know these exist! I have parts books/fiche for almost every car and bike I own and find them invaluable for their exploded views. I will keep an eye out for a set of these. I can't believe nobody's ever reproduced them.

6. Camaromurph

You will want to look for a set with close effective dates on the covers. Not years apart at least. Mine are 2-3 years different and sometimes the references from the illustration manual don’t line up with the parts catalog. The info is there just a little more pain in the a.. to find it.

7. CK2

CK2 New Member

Any luck finding an electronic copy of the info you were looking for? I am putting together a car that someone else took apart and am not sure if I am missing any parts or if I have some extra parts. Not to mention, need to figure out where all the parts go. LOL

8. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Not yet. What do you need views of? I've found the odd exploded view around the net.i actually thought I saw a few here on nastyz28, but I'll be damned if I can find them again.

9. CK2

CK2 New Member

I have brackets that look like them may be for something around the dash but not sure. If you have anything for an 80ish camaro dash that shows the brackets and around the steering and brake pedal that would be great.

10. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

This is the best I can do on the dash. Do you have an assembly manual, if not, I will look in mine. Post a pic of the brackets?

Attached Files: