patch panel rear quarter panel question

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
for the rear quarter panel companies make patch panels that are about 15 inches high, any idea who makes the thickest one, gauge wise??? i got one but its not as thick as the original 1/4.

cadillac_al

Veteran Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maine
I didn't notice my patch panel being thinner than normal... I had no reason to measure it. Every patch panel I buy for any vehicle is always 22 ga. I didn't realize the Camaro quarters would be thicker than that. I didn't get to weld in my patch panel on the Camaro this summer so I didn't measure them. I usually measure sheet metal before I weld it.

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
22 gauge, thats not much, wish the were 18, especially on the back there. guess ive been on gravel roads all my life, and see how this city made stuff is.

Last edited:

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
Check the Tabco ones. I think they are thicker.
just ordered a tabco one, never heard of those guys, thanks,we will see and i will let you know, wish i could remember where the one i got now is from, pop can tin. terrible. just went and looked at it. the one i have, says made in taiwan about .026 thick. and another sticker that has chl auto parts and windy city muscle cars.chl auto parts is a taiwan parts maker. im learning.

Last edited:

doug m

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2020
I didn't notice my patch panel being thinner than normal... I had no reason to measure it. Every patch panel I buy for any vehicle is always 22 ga. I didn't realize the Camaro quarters would be thicker than that. I didn't get to weld in my patch panel on the Camaro this summer so I didn't measure them. I usually measure sheet metal before I weld it.
im finding out theres a lot of junk out there.

Adams

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
I have done my left quarter patch in the last 3 months. The original thickness was 0.0438". AMD replacement is 18 gauge, 0.0422". The fitment and alignment and shape was almost perfect. And my car is black. You can't go wrong with AMD panels or patches.
Left Quarter finished.jpg
Patch panel.jpg

Latest posts