Patriot Heads

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 80 Z28, Mar 31, 2009.

1. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

I am a noob when it comes to heads. I am just looking for that little jump; an upgrade over the stock heads. But after reading the posts about flow number, I guess you cant go off cc alone.

So for a 406 with a 292 cam, anything over 200cc would be useless? I might try to see if I can get a price up here on those Canfield 23-500-65 the hhot is running....

2. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

Question,

The 220 flow better than the 195. Even if I do not have a cam that will compliment the higher lift, why wouldn't I just go with the larger head?

3. nova75mike

nova75mike Veteran Member

I've been doing alot of research on my own with my handy-dandy computer dyno programs, and asking alot of questions on here as well. If you have a cam with a .500 lift you dont need to worry about a heads flow potential above that lift ( i.e. your cam will never see .600 lift so why even look at that flow number?). Just concentrate on the flow rates from say, .300 lift to your max of .500 lift, thats where the cam will be spending MOST of its time, as far as lift goes. I emailed Tony Mamo from AFR with this question a few weeks back. He told me that for street applications, you want to go with the smallest port with the highest flow rate under your cams max lift. He said that the AFR 195's would be a MUCH better choice for me than the 210's I was already running. I plugged the flow data into my computer dyno and he was right on the money. HP was VERY close, but the torque increase with the smaller port was incredible, almost 25 ft lbs at peak, thats a difference you can feel in the seat of your pants. Now everybody keep in mind this is a computer program talking, but I do put ALOT of faith in what Tony says. Just FYI, my combo is a 383 with 11 to 1 and a mild solid roller (243-249 at .050 and .585 lift) with the AFR 210's. Compare to what you want to build.

4. fabio

fabio Veteran Member

for a street car the smaller port will have better low end and throttle response. Many top drag racer builders say they'll take the smallest size port that gets the job done.

5. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

170cc vortecs outflow every dart/bowtie/procomp/pro etc head I have flowed in the .200-.500 lift range. This is where power is made esp on a street or mild cam engine. Lazy ports make for lazy power.

6. REARSPROCKET

REARSPROCKET Veteran Member

I agree with 80' 427

7. ADV1

ADV1 Veteran Member

I'll finally be firing up my Z with my Patriots here in a few weeks!!! Woot! I'll post here to let you know how it goes after it's tuned in!

8. HULKZ28

HULKZ28 Veteran Member

Hey novamike, have you had that motor dynoed??Sounds like a nice combo..
    ADV, whats your motor and what size pats do you have..Sorry for the hijach..
    HUlk

9. nova75mike

nova75mike Veteran Member

I had it dyno'd with the IEP 200's on it. At the crank it made 517hp at 6450 rpm and 497 ft lbs at 4800. I can feel that it makes more power now with the AFR 210's but I havent thrown it back on the dyno to know how much. It feels a little softer down low but from 3500 on up, she pulls ALOT harder. I ran it at the track with the iron eagles and it went 7.41 in the 1/8th, spun pretty hard tho. Once I get a few bugs worked out with the suspension, I'm taking it back to the track.

10. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

I like the patriots they are a good bang for the buck! Haven't had any issues with mine & I'm making just over 400 + hp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]