PC crashed... help?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Nov 27, 2010.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my gf's laptop, it worked fine, we were watching a movie, she loaded a file off the hard drive, and it lagged up, she restarted,

restarted and its a blue screen, not the one of death. but says like start normal, recovery, diagnostics etc,

every options restarts back to the screen

shes sending it to me.

if i take the hd out can i use it with this and recover her data possibly onto my pc or external?

it still revved, / the hard drive
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermal...07083869&skuId=8990443#tabbed-customerreviews

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, from the specs, it looks like you should be able to install the laptop drive into the adapter and recover the files. That is assuming that the drive is still readable.

3. FreedomPenguin

because best buy wants 100$ to do it,

or im thinking buying it for 29$ from amazon and doing myself, + have a handy thing for future

how hard is it to take out a hard drive? i know how, but is there any soldering required, or just unscrew, unclip, etc nothing special involved. its a hp

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

HD unplugs from the ribbon cable and power cable. No soldering.

5. FreedomPenguin

Thanks alot gonna do it myself :) il learn from it anyway

6. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Laptop hard drives literally pull out. There is no ribbon cable. Usually you have to remove 1 screw, a small one and it will slide out. I ended up buying a 3 in one drive adapter. You can connect IDE hard drives, and both SATA types to it, I think it was less than $20 from TigerDirect.com. If you were to boot up into SAFE MODE, will it come up? It may be worth a shot and do a System Restore to an earlier date.

7. FreedomPenguin

She said safe mode wouldn't work so she mailed to
    me itl be here this week or so il fix it.

8. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

Unplug, remove battery, you usually remove a couple of screws that hold HD cover, remove a couple of screws that hold HD itself, out it slides. Some HDs have a plastic ribbon attached to the front of it you can grab to pull it out, some don't, carefully use a small screwdriver to wedge it out using the HD's screw holes.

Some lappy HDs slide out after removing the cover screws; cover is attached to HD and needs to be transferred to new HD. Watch those little screws, they tend to grow legs and wander off.

You are supposed to use a static strap, but if I don't have one handy, touch something grounded (metal of faucet if you do it on kitchen table) before you expose it. Holding it from the edges can't hurt. Don't walk on carpet or anything.

If it has trouble reading, I've had some luck taking the HD, wrapping it inside a plastic bag, then putting in the freezer for an hour or 2. Pull it out of the freezer and plug it in quick, transfer files. This has worked even on a HD that was making nasty clicking noises.

Last thing, if it's an older laptop, might be an IDE HD. Difference shown here:

http://www.laptopparts101.com/hard-drive/

9. FreedomPenguin

Tyvm it's 2 -3 years old. I will post results next week. Looking forward to saving her laptop

10. sszz4

sszz4 Member

Another option is to create a Linux bootable USB drive or CD. You can then boot the computer off the Linux and copy over the files to a USB drive or external hard drive.