People are stupid and can't fix stuff anymore

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Nov 3, 2018.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

While on a walk a month ago a guy 4 blocks from me tossed out his 2 cycle snow thrower. I asked why he was tossing it out, his answer was "I have had it at 3 shops and they can't get it running, if you want it take it". So I told him I could get it running for him and he said "I don't want to mess with it", Ok, so I rolled it home and today went out to play with the snow thrower and within 15 minutes I had it up and running. What was wrong you ask?, the main jet was plugged, 3 shops could not find this, huh. Cleaned that and the rest of the carb out, put in clean gas, it fired right up. Now I have 5 snow blowers 2 of them I bought years ago and 3 free ones in the last year. Same thing with the Honda pressure washer, couple of washers in the pump and new gas and oil and wah lah, it's up and running.
    You guys who can fix stuff should be proud of yourselves as repair people are getting harder to find these days.

Da-bigguy, Smokey15 and Peck like this.
  2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Agreed. That’s how I got my snowblower too. 3 year old craftsman 24”, wouldn’t run. Cleaned out old gas, cleaned carb and 1 pull start everytime. Had it for 3 years now no problems.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't trust anyone to work on my stuff, and that's why I learn how to fix things myself.

azkeebler and MotionClone like this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I pick the junk for anything with an engine. It is usually something small. Like a spark plug or the rope is broken. Maybe the cable for the engine brake. I get a bunch fixed and sell on C/L or yard sale.

5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

You should see my 2000 dollar stainless steel gas grill......thing is brand new. Guy tossed it because it wad " leaking propane". $15 regulator from home depot and i have the mac daddy grill! Chainsaws, generators, lawnmower....got a bunch of em'

Da-bigguy likes this.
  6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you take it to a shop which also SELLS snowblowers... there’s more money in selling you a new one than fixing the old one.

Too many places like that around. No actual service, just sales.

1972_Z-28 likes this.
  7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Just went through this with a Stihl weed wacker. They said the starter was slipping and the part was discontinued. That was BS. Needed a gasket. Last time for that place.

8. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The real problem is today's young tech doesn't know diddly about basic theory. If they can't find the fix on YouTube, the car/truck/snowblower is deemed junk.

Peck likes this.
  9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I've flipped a few dirt cheap lawn tractors that didn't need much. Maybe $100 in parts. cutting deck parts, tie rods, etc

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

For me Youtube is my friend. A couple of years ago I needed to put a fuel pump assy. in my Son's Kia Sorento. The bolts holding it on were so rusted no socket or pliers would work. After looking on Youtube I came across a video where this guy had the same thing on his Honda and he used a large side cutter to get the little bolts on, I though could it be that easy? sure was, got them all out in 5 minutes and installed the new pump. Easy peasy, lemon squeezey.