People are stupid and can't fix stuff anymore

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last time I stopped at an AutoZone that I've never been at, the kid trys to sling Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I said sure if he could explain how it worked without having any solvents in it. Hadn't a clue.

I buy sub $300 cars and beat them to death because nobody wants to get their hands dirty or even try to fix things. My caravan was pissing coolant when I bought it. The previous owner said it was a nightmare job and expensive blah blah. $6 on rubber heater hose, a couple clamps and a zip tie. That was 12k miles ago.

My 1978 snow blower sat in a basement for 20 years. Cleaned it up. Changed the belts and fuel line and it purrs. My hair Clippers are getting dull. The company suggests a new head or the newest model to replace my older one. Going to buy 600 grit sand paper and put a new edge on it. This isn't rocket science. It's maintenance.

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Correct. Vato Zone seems hell bent on 02 sensors and some sort of additive as the fix all whenever the check engine light comes on. This is something that @Knuckle Dragger and myself have laughed at for years.

John Wright likes this.
  3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Well, since it was cold outside today and we had a small touch of snow here in MN. I decided to try the 4 free snow blowers I have. All worked great and started right up. You gotta love getting free stuff.

4. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

I love to read these stories where people throw out perfectly good and expensive items - only to have it repaired on the cheap side and enjoyed again. My success story includes fixing the dishwasher for $40 (diode burnt out) and a $30 relay replacement for my central vacuum (not switching off at the hose). Both items if replaced would have cost me over $1000. So, lets see, $70 or $1000......hmmm yup cheaper always wins. Hah.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wish it was just Vatozone. I'd say t least half my coworkers think the O2 fixes everything.

6. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've worked with those guys and thankfully they've all moved on...... I got tired of fixing their comebacks.

These days most of my coworkers duck any job that isn't pads and rotors or an alignment.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Here's a great score.

8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Ha! Literally just came home from work with another one. Buddy of mine picked up a go cart for his kid - nice one 2 seater with a cage and lights etc. cheap because somebody didn’t want to mess with it, the recoil stuck. My buddy bought it cheap and went to Horrid freight and bought a new engine. So he dropped off the old one for me for maybe parts?

A squirt of wd in the recoil and a minute of working it back in, a shot of brake clean in the intake one pull it runs. Don’t even think I’ll have to mess with the carb idles fine all the way thru wot.

Doubling down on the “lets Just throw it away because it needs tinkering” mentality lol!

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

man are we having a "git off m' lawn" moment here or what? :crazy:

10. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Seeing this thread makes me think, where would you take a small piece of equipment to get it fixed? We all work on our own stuff. Other people have other talents. I'm not an artist. I can't draw water with a bucket. I can do first aid but I'm not a Doctor. I can nail wood together but I'm not a carpenter. I tried trimming my own beard once, it wasn't pretty so I go to a barber.

For people with little to no mechanical ability, where would they take something to get it fixed? Years ago, there were fix it shops everywhere. I can't remember the last time I saw one. It's all big box stores now. My father was possibly the most mechanically un-inclined person you could meet. However, when he was in the Army in the mid 30's and again in WW2, he was a radio man in the signal corps. I watched once over the course of a couple of days make his own radio, just to keep his hand in. He made his own speakers, wound his own coils and made a radio receiver. It was only AM and was hard to change stations as you had to move a metal bar across a resistor wire. It picked up stations though. He even taught me how to service our TV when I was small. He taught me to short out the capacitor before doing anything else to discharge the stored energy for safety. At 7 years old, I remember pulling the TV out, making a map of the tubes, pulling them out, going to the drug store with a tube tester. I bought two tubes to replace ones that didn't work, went home and put it all back together and then watched Saturday morning cartoons.

John Wright likes this.