People are stupid and can't fix stuff anymore

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Nov 3, 2018.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Hard to believe there aren't any small engine shops that will fix things anymore. All of them around here just want to sell you new stuff. I think it would be profitable to fix this stuff, since their door rate has always been higher than mine in a collision shop. Just my booth and air make-up was over 100K new. Then there's the frame machine, and the paint mixing system with mixing tints. I own all this equipment, bought and paid for. What do you need to fix a weed wacker? I think there aren't many people that know what they're doing, or just don't want to fix them. My Stihl weed wacker was at a Stihl authorized sales and repair center for 2 weeks. Said they couldn't fix it, said parts were discontinued. They were way off base. Not even close to diagnosing the real problem. When I went to pick it up, they took me immediately to the show room, to look at a "suitable" replacement. Around $400. Took it home. Kid had it diagnosed in 15 minutes. Loose part, gasket sucked in, no signal (pulse) to carb. Runs great again. If someone here can explain to me why these people deserve to make more hourly than me I would love to hear it, other than the obvious. I'm an idiot.

2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The same reason women's clothes run more than men's. Because they will pay it. Men won't buy expensive clothes. Women will if it has a good name, is the "in" style or whatever.

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Phil there is a decent small engine shop off of South Park road. The guy does it out of his garage, and has always been fair with us

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll remember that. It's just things have been very busy at the shop, and I didn't want to bother Kid with something this trivial. I knew he could fix it. He's great with small engines. He worked at a small engine shop, and he and his son both race dirt bikes, so he has to do a lot of maintenance on the small 2 and 4 strokes to keep them running and in the points. There is a Stihl dealer about a mile from me, so it seemed like a good idea. Obviously not, in hindsight. At least I learned something, and will never use or recommend them again.

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found the problem.....I didn't take the gasket off the intake so I don't know how it ran okay before, but the gasket was flipped upside down and partially covered the air bleed. I carefully peeled the gasket off so not to tear it and flipped it over, put it all back and it revs to the moon and back to an idle like it's supposed to now .

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm gonna say it's the same as my side of the industry. Too many poorly trained morons willing to half-ass the work for a lower pay rate. The bean counters are focused on the money rather then the quality, and it's easier to give someone else's work away then it is the sell the consumer on quality. You're competing with these clown and most consumers shop price assuming the quality is the same.