Pepper the robot discontinued after being repeatedly fired from jobs

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Jul 19, 2021.

1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2021/0...fter-being-repeatedly-fired-from-jobs-n402949

"Pepper the artificial intelligence robot produced by Japan’s Softbank Group is being discontinued after having been widely distributed around the globe for the past seven years. And the reason is that Pepper turned out to be almost entirely unemployable."
    So what sort of trouble has Pepper been getting herself into lately? Probably more than you might imagine. A line of funeral homes in Japan signed on the robots to chant sutras or scriptures, helping to perform Buddhist funeral rites. Unfortunately, Pepper kept stopping in the middle of the scriptures or ceremonies. Not for nothing, but who thought it was a good idea to have a robot performing funeral rites?
    "The Margiotta grocery store chain hired Pepper to assist customers at their store in Edinburgh, Scotland. All the robot had to do was give directions to where various products would be found if a customer asked. Unfortunately, that job didn’t work out either. Pepper was let go for repeatedly advising customers to “look in the liquor section” no matter what products they asked about. (Sounds like my kind of robot, actually.)"
    "There were other professional failures galore. A Japanese nursing-home company installed three Pepper robots “to keep residents company and lead group singalongs.” (Yeah. That doesn’t sound creepy at all, right?) Those robots were fired for taking too many unscheduled breaks."

BillyDean7173, xten and Zstar like this.
  2. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Lol. I always wonder if these ai creating engineers ever consider what's to happen to all the people doing the jobs that the robots take? Are they all supposed to become programmers or game developers? Maybe everyone can become YouTubers, begging for money from viewers. I'm not talking manufacturing, where automation was a thing almost from the beginning, but the day to day jobs, like driving a truck or working a counter at a store. Doesn't anyone see the long term effects of these "solutions looking for problems"? Maybe it's all part of the "government will pay you" philosophy.

3. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I grasp to the one sliver of hope my Grandfather told me when I was young and saw the original planet of the apes and I was afraid animals would take over the world-he said "What separates us from the animals is that animals can't REASON" I think AI falls into that at present time.I realize that slowly our humans are losing the ability to reason,but I think we are still OK,not worried about the terminator in my lifetime :D.Later Steve!!

4. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Lol, animals I can handle, people that are willing to turn their entire lives over to the Internet scare the crap out of me!

5. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From various things I've read about Japan, it seems they have a real problem with their aged society. There just aren't enough young Japanese to do work(China is supposedly approaching the same situation), and I guess bringing a lot of foreign workers into Japan is not an option. So Japan has been something of a leader with personal assistant robots(or whatever they call them).

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I need to check my techs to see if any one of them is a robot.
    It would explain a lot.