Period Correct Engine and Car Value

5thTimeAround

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Looking at purchasing a 72 SS (not yet verified), U code (big block) but the original motor was swapped a long time ago for a 350 unfortunately. Original engine not available at all. I have the chance to also buy a 1972 396 motor that came from a different Camaro from the same seller. I understand a matching numbers car is always worth more than non-matching, but will swapping in a period correct motor do anything for the overall value of the car? Trying to decide if it's worth spending another $3k (CDN) on the motor.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
In my opinion, if the engine is at least a suffix correct with the ultimate of date correct, it will add least 3k to the cars value and a good purchase. You would then be only giving up the VIN correctness. If it is just a date correct but from a different model or a standard trans car going in an automatic car (or vice-versa) or if the 3k is just a “core” cost and it will need totally rebuilt then you may be upside down eventually.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
I don’t think a non correct engine will add any value. However, being a big block over a 350 will have buyer preference value. Some will prefer a big block car. At the end of the day, the car is either correct or it’s not. If it’s not correct, it’s the buyer who will decide

5thTimeAround

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t think a non correct engine will add any value. However, being a big block over a 350 will have buyer preference value. Some will prefer a big block car. At the end of the day, the car is either correct or it’s not. If it’s not correct, it’s the buyer who will decide
Thank you. I bought the car but passed on the engine

Latest posts