Permatex Cure Time

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hey Guys,

I'm about to install an intake manifold on my Camaro, and it's going to freeze the next few nights here in South Carolina with temps ranging from about 50 degrees in the day to 25 degrees in the evening.

My question is: Should my Ultra Black Permatex cure on my china walls in this in cold weather, or should I wait until it warms up?

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
As to my understanding in optimum temp conditions Permatex will fully cure in 24hrs . Now in very cold temperatures cure time can be much longer intervals

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
Maybe try a heat gun on the iron to warm it up. Goob it on. Heat the intake as well. Set it on with the bolts part way tight for a little while then run them home. Come back in a day or 2 to check. Trim the excess.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Permatex told me ultra black was the way to go since I'm using an aluminum intake on an iron block. But I see what you're saying. I agree about the temps hindering drying times.

I envy you and your heated garage:) Thanks for the advice!

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
....Id assume since I'm only using it on the china walls and water jackets, I't shouldn't be in contact with gasoline.ther
Heat lamp?
IT looks like I'll have a high of 55 degrees here on Sunday. What I might do is use The Right Stuff, which has a 90 minute cure time. That'll be the warmest day we will have here for a period of about 2 weeks.

It should be my best chance to get it to cure correctly.

fbody_mike

Veteran Member
Mar 24, 2009
San Gabriel Valley, California
The China-Walls do not have contact with gasoline so I don't think that should be too much of a concern.
For the temperature issue, try some out on a couple junk parts out in the cold and see if it sets in a couple of hours or so.