Pete's "71" Restomod Update 01

peteegger

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2006
North Las Vegas, NV.
It was my understanding the Mexico blocks had a higher nickel content, and were waaay better.
First I've heard of that? It's about outsourcing American jobs and destroying opportunities. It can be built here and with modern manufacturing made affordable. Feeding the Chinese Army isn't very comforting either. Not wanting to turn this into a political rant but I was very disappointed when I saw the "Made in Mexico" cast into the back of the iconic "American" Chevy 350 small block. Not so much that it was made in Mexico but that it wasn't made here in America. Regret selling the original 350 engine which only had 75K original miles and other than being a 2 barrel low performance version ran great! Sold it to a co-worker as a favor before I discovered my new crate motor wasn't made here.

SPG

Bumblebee Builder
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sacramento
I'm pretty sure the higher nickle content thing is a myth, at least I can't find anything to prove it. A lot of people believe caddys had mroe nickle in the blocks but again, can't find a source on this.
As for jobs, well....chevy didn't want to pay the workers more and outsourced the jobs because thats the backbone of capitalism, blame the system not the byproduct.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
I'm pretty sure the higher nickle content thing is a myth, at least I can't find anything to prove it. A lot of people believe caddys had mroe nickle in the blocks but again, can't find a source on this.
As for jobs, well....chevy didn't want to pay the workers more and outsourced the jobs because thats the backbone of capitalism, blame the system not the byproduct.
The nickel thing has been a source of argument for years. But I had a 87 chevy truck that supposedly had the high nickel content, and it was indestructible. So if it didnt have high Nickel, something else made it last longer. And supposedly the engines in the late 60s and ealry 70s had a higher nickel and tin content. Separate rumor...lol

I blame it on Unions...my understanding is Unions caused a lot of this outsourcing mess. Either way, I share the sentiment , and try to buy products made here in the US, but its not easy to do.

$ Mike 70 Z-28

Veteran Member
Nov 7, 2002
New York, NY
First I've heard of that? It's about outsourcing American jobs and destroying opportunities. It can be built here and with modern manufacturing made affordable. Feeding the Chinese Army isn't very comforting either. Not wanting to turn this into a political rant but I was very disappointed when I saw the "Made in Mexico" cast into the back of the iconic "American" Chevy 350 small block. Not so much that it was made in Mexico but that it wasn't made here in America. Regret selling the original 350 engine which only had 75K original miles and other than being a 2 barrel low performance version ran great! Sold it to a co-worker as a favor before I discovered my new crate motor wasn't made here.
all of the AC DELCO STUFF ITS MADE IN MEXICO EVEN THE SMALL PARTS

$ Mike 70 Z-28

Veteran Member
Nov 7, 2002
New York, NY
THE old sbc blocks where the timing chain is it has a stamping 10/20 and its not a myth pick up a old sbc engine book and you will see