Pete's "71" Restomod Update 01

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN

i am going back over some of your previous post ,thank you. part of the reason it has been taking me so long is trying to source made in USA oboy. i have got lucky in being able to find some good parts to rework. i will have a few left overs when done that i will be disposing of on this site ,not sure what year that will be lol !

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
The nickel thing has been a source of argument for years. But I had a 87 chevy truck that supposedly had the high nickel content, and it was indestructible. So if it didnt have high Nickel, something else made it last longer. And supposedly the engines in the late 60s and ealry 70s had a higher nickel and tin content. Separate rumor...lol

I blame it on Unions...my understanding is Unions caused a lot of this outsourcing mess. Either way, I share the sentiment , and try to buy products made here in the US, but its not easy to do.
company agreed to contract outsourced any ways, both sides contributed to it Bill Clinton helped them out.

peteegger

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2006
North Las Vegas, NV.
so i am using same wire harness on my 71 with console shifter and wired according to labeling ,sounds like they are backwards ? according to schematic should be starter (solenoid) on top and ns on bottom which is how i connected it but you are saying that they are both labeled wrong?
Your harness may be correct and it was just mine that was mislabeled. I can't see well enough from your photo. Item #15 on the wiring diagram.
Purple - "12 volt feed "in" to neutral safety switch from ignition switch."
Mine was incorrectly labeled "Solenoid".
Purple - "12 volt feed "out" to starter solenoid."
Mine was incorrectly labeled "Safety Neutral" and went to the fuse block. On the other side of the fuse block in the engine compartment it was
correctly labeled "Solenoid".
The wiring on my harness was correct it was just the labeling inside the car that was swapped around.

peteegger

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2006
North Las Vegas, NV.
when i wired mine according to schematic it has the white wire going to the motor then to pump ?it looks like i have white wire(double ) switched in connectors? i am going to post pics of were i am currently on wiring in project progress ,if you have time and see some thing that could be a problem let me know . i will take advice and listen to all comments thank you
It will work the way you have it but the factory harness and my kit double up the 12 volt feed wires at the motor and then jumper the 12 volt feed single wire to the washer. Your's will work fine the way it is.

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
It will work the way you have it but the factory harness and my kit double up the 12 volt feed wires at the motor and then jumper the 12 volt feed single wire to the washer. Your's will work fine the way it is.
i ended up switching it ,still have to check those switch wires.got busy working on switch panel for other stuff. i got the classic update kit also been going slow dont want any uupsee's thanks again

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
Your harness may be correct and it was just mine that was mislabeled. I can't see well enough from your photo. Item #15 on the wiring diagram.
Purple - "12 volt feed "in" to neutral safety switch from ignition switch."
Mine was incorrectly labeled "Solenoid".
Purple - "12 volt feed "out" to starter solenoid."
Mine was incorrectly labeled "Safety Neutral" and went to the fuse block. On the other side of the fuse block in the engine compartment it was
correctly labeled "Solenoid".
The wiring on my harness was correct it was just the labeling inside the car that was swapped around.
i checked mine today was same as yours? that's kind of concerning! i switched wires around on switch at console.i got a question does yours have a purple and yellow wires that are twisted together ,mine does and they are not labeled and are not on diagram.you can kinda see about in middle of the group .it also seems like the wires for headlight and wiper switch are way to long,thinking about unterminating and making shorter.

Attachments

• 0724211026b.jpg
    0724211026b.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 0724211026a.jpg
    0724211026a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 40

peteegger

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2006
North Las Vegas, NV.
i checked mine today was same as yours? that's kind of concerning! i switched wires around on switch at console.i got a question does yours have a purple and yellow wires that are twisted together ,mine does and they are not labeled and are not on diagram.you can kinda see about in middle of the group .it also seems like the wires for headlight and wiper switch are way to long,thinking about unterminating and making shorter.
Those are for your vehicle speed sensor VSS. Yellow is ground but I'm using a GM standard sine wave which generates it's own signal and where polarity doesn't matter. Some VSS's need an additional wire for power. Depends on what you have. Wiring is shown on drawing 510034 page 2. They should be twisted inside and outside the car down to the sensor to cancel electrical noise. It's a very small signal.

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
Those are for your vehicle speed sensor VSS. Yellow is ground but I'm using a GM standard sine wave which generates it's own signal and where polarity doesn't matter. Some VSS's need an additional wire for power. Depends on what you have. Wiring is shown on drawing 510034 page 2. They should be twisted inside and outside the car down to the sensor to cancel electrical noise. It's a very small signal.
so when i hooked up my battery charger(2 amp) to check stuff out my new horns dont do any thing i used the relay (inside car)that came with the harness i also have new original type relay mounted were normally would be and used original harness as guide. when i push button i just buzzes the inside relay? so far everything else works as should.

Latest posts