PF25 - why not use a shorty?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Chuck71RS, Sep 12, 2020.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

I just looked and less than $10 at WhaleMart. ;)

2. KingofThings

I agree because I want it to be below the headers for mounting and removing. A shorty can be a real PITA with headers.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use the Wix 51069 because the longer one sits really close to my headers. I don't want my exhaust to unnecessarily heat my oil up.

2ndGenCrazy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

Good point, though your headers must be far below it for I wouldn't think there'd be any real measurable difference. I wonder if there is some type of wrapper, short of aluminum foil, just for this, and does it work?

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Filters are determined at the OEM level by what filter fits in all applications of that engine-vehicle. So if there is some obscure option that crowds the area the where long filter would occupy, they just default to the short filter across the board. Internally there is no difference in this case other than more filter area so more capacity for contaminants. Keep in mind though that if you get too close to the headers that there is a heat factor to think about. I have seen an instance where the paint was burned on a long filter from the header tube. This could cause an issue internally with the filter media or even localized boiling of the oil. In a prior job I was an engineer with FRAM. It's amazing the photos of what folks do to filters to get them to fit.

Chuck71RS and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

7. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

The difference in capacity and the space requirement should be your main concerns, the larger filters are often called Quart Filters, though the capacity is less than one quart. The additional capacity has always been the driver for me to use the larger filter, the larger filter element is an added bonus. I use the Wix 51061 after visiting their manufacturing facility in North Carolina in the late 1980s, quality finishing operation at that time!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

It does depend on your headers. Some headers run very close to the oil filter and some don't.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. sandlapper

sandlapper Member

for sbc/BBC, I like WIX 51060. A little longer and has more media for greater filtering efficiency. Also has No By-Pass valve (OE filter adapter base already has one) but it does have a silicone Anti Drain-Back valve (sister 51061 does Not). I know some say ADB valve not needed when filter is vertical but I believe in siphon. Regardless, an ADB valve cannot hurt.
    specs https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=230356

yes, new to forum but not to subject. :bowtie:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Welcome aboard!

sandlapper likes this.