Pics of my new TKX box...

Bentley

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2020
That's the same box my TKO came in from SST. I actually thought it was a pretty nifty box. When staples and taped, it was quite sturdy. Definitely not up to being dropped without sacrificing itself though. I like the pallet/crate idea, but the cardboard could probably cushion a decent drop without hurting the contents, whereas a more solid box would pass the shock on to the contents.
I hear you but when I opened the new trans box it looked nothing like the one that was " abused".. I was surprised at the cardboard in it that I had NO idea was in the bad one..
If you click on the above "holley" link, scroll down and look at the post about a private party packaging his trans when he sold it... I like that packaging idea..

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Wow. Yes, the wooden box that guy built was perfect. If I made one out of wood, it would be 3x that size and heavier than the trans. Wood is not my thing, though I do try...
I'm sure other places re-use the boxes. When I shipped my tko back to sst for warranty work in the original box, it cam back to me in a different used box.

Bentley

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2020
Wow. Yes, the wooden box that guy built was perfect. If I made one out of wood, it would be 3x that size and heavier than the trans. Wood is not my thing, though I do try...
I'm sure other places re-use the boxes. When I shipped my tko back to sst for warranty work in the original box, it cam back to me in a different used box.

What I liked was the use of the mounting points on the transmission for shipment..

There is a MOPAR guy named Passon, who designed and builds a 5 speed OD trans for Mopars.. Last I saw he uses some 2 x 4's and mounts the trans to them, not even enclosing it with plywood or carboard... Last I saw it was a 100% freight survival......

MadMatt

Sep 14, 2007
Montclair, VA
I really want a TKX, but this makes me nervous. I don’t have time to drive to Georgia (which is about 16 hours from me), so I’ll have to depend on the shipping company. Is Silver Sport a safer bet?

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I really want a TKX, but this makes me nervous. I don’t have time to drive to Georgia (which is about 16 hours from me), so I’ll have to depend on the shipping company. Is Silver Sport a safer bet?
Silver Sport got mine to me safely twice, all the way to northern Canada. And quickly. They used UPS for shipping it here. The second time,there was a ding in the box, but not in a spot that could have hurt the trans. From what I could find out, it happened with a company local to me that was contracted by UPS.

MadMatt

Sep 14, 2007
Montclair, VA
Silver Sport got mine to me safely twice, all the way to northern Canada. And quickly. They used UPS for shipping it here. The second time,there was a ding in the box, but not in a spot that could have hurt the trans. From what I could find out, it happened with a company local to me that was contracted by UPS.
Was their packaging any better was was it just that UPS was more careful?

Bentley

Veteran Member
Aug 14, 2020
Where are you located? There are a fair amount of good Tremec dealers who sell and stock these? You don't have to drive to Georgia to W/C one, lots of options...
Hanlon Motorsports is in Elversen PA.?? They are supposed to be good people

Last edited:

MadMatt

Sep 14, 2007
Montclair, VA
Where are you located? There are a fair amount of good Tremec dealers who sell and stock these? You don't have to drive to Georgia to W/C one, lots of options...
Hanlon Motorsports is in Elversen PA.?? They are supposed to be good people
I’m in Northern Virginia, near DC

Latest posts