Pirate Jacks 4 wheel Disc Conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by mk3ricks, Sep 8, 2021.

1. mk3ricks

mk3ricks Member

Anyway after some review searching Ive found that these Cadillac brake conversions are pretty common, most are in that $400 range. Granite I can see where rebuilding them could get daunting but for an entry level conversion there everywhere.
    Then I wonder about the Wilwood kits at $800 would I even know an extra $400 dollar upgrade since there on the rear? To be truthful last time i used the emergency brake was to do donuts on an a ice covered parking lot when I was 18.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the kit and hopefully I'll have time to give feedback during the installation I hope to get the problem and complaints on the Caddy brakes so I'll know what to expect.
    Thanks for the replies

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

You are supposed to use the parking brake every time you stop the vehicle to keep the rear calipers adjusted. I don't have time for that crap. Then a few thousand miles later the rear brakes are a little weaker and out of adjustment. Then I press the parking brake 400 times to try to get them adjusted and it doesn't work. Now I have to remove the calipers and try to get them adjusted manually. Sometimes it will work and sometimes not. Then I have the choice of disassembling the caliper and fixing it or just buying a new one. I usually buy new ones and start the process all over again. I would be more than happy with some old drum brake adjusters with an actual emergency brake for my daily drivers. If I wanted rear discs with a parking brake I would upgrade to newer technology with some park brake (maybe emergency brake) shoes inside the hat.

I can barely get my Caddys inspected around here because the parking brake is so weak. Every year I show the guys how nice the system is. We put it on the lift, I push the brake lever with my thumb, the wheel is locked pretty solid. "You see? everything works beautiful." Then we engage the park brake and the wheels are locked pretty solid. See? the park brake works beautiful." They agree it works great. We put it on the ground and test the park brake and the car wants to roll. They shake their head and say "yeah that's a pooty system" and they give me my inspection sticker. I have been doing this for 30 years.

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

pooty? roflmao. sorry I forgot about the kiddies on here.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Lol, no time to step on a pedal once?

But yes, those calipers need the e-brake to be used. Especially at installation. They also like to freeze and leak.

AK99 likes this.
  5. mk3ricks

mk3ricks Member

OK the brake conversion kit came in sorry no unboxing video have everything laid out all checked OK no shipping damage, started to mock install the pieces and and now the fun begins
    1. First problem the brake booster mount does not line up to firewall studs, I could grind to fit but that's not how it should be.
    2. The rear rotors are 10 hole 7/16" and 1/2" the item description STATES (each rotor is drilled for GM 5 x 4.75'' w/ 7/16'' stud bolt patterns) those are ok
    BUT!! I'm running GM 5 x 4.75'' w/ 1/2'' studs and of course the holes in the rotor for the 1/2" are 4.5"
    So here is my question is this the norm for these 10 hole rotors to have two different off size patterns or were they drilled wrong?

6. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Veteran Member

Probably fit other brand of cars as well. "I could grind to fit but thats not the way its supposed to be" uuh ya its aftermarket.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To give you an idea ...my 1980 TA IS FACTORY 4 WHEEL DISC. I am removing the rear junk to go with S-10 rear disc. Internal e-brake that actually WORKS and for the price of re-poop factory calipers I have the entire set-up. Some 30 yrs ago I rebuilt mine as a refurbished caliper cost $240 AFTER you returned the "core" which was $120....EACH :eek:

Yes on a great day the factory stuff is ALMOST useful....but if you are depending on that EMERGENCY BRAKE to actually save you in an emergency!!!! better buy more insurance. The ratcheting piston mechanism was quite creative and surely passed some kind of testing WHEN NEW....now add 40 yrs and chinese manufacturing to it....I think i would pass.

This is ALL about the e-brake! The actually braking capability is by far greater than the basic drums and definately noticable the way the rear pulls down. If you are "all in" on said kit and the rotors centering hub FITS your axle flange... drill out your rotors for your 1/2" studs and move on..

hubedobeedo and 8pack like this.