piston stop method

K5JMP

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
MORTUORUM VENATOR - Z.R.T.
good luck on the timing tape.. I have never been able to keep it in place..lol

I just use a paint pen and mark it... then use a dial-back timing light to get it back on the tab for total timing.

one thing to consider, if the outer ring of the balancer has slipped... it will prolly do so again.
ya might consider replacing the damper with and aftermarket part... I use a fluid damper and it's been bullet-proof over it's 15 yr life... so far...:innocent:

K5JMP

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
MORTUORUM VENATOR - Z.R.T.
the keyway on early cranks vs late model cranks are clocked different...

that could be where the issue is coming from. or it could be the timing cover... there are a few variables here that need to be taken into account.

I use an adjustable pointer to compensate for that... but I also run a Jesel belt-drive so there was no timing tab to begin with on mine.
sometimes you gotta go outside the factory box to make it work right..:innocent:

the piston stop method is true TDC, so you should be fine if marked accordingly.

bski224

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2009
Long Island NY
Ya I have an adjustable pointer. TDC is about 2 o'clock seems to be dead in. Also put a screw driver in spark plug hole and tip of screw driver had oil on it. Good indication I'm tdc. Thanks for all your help

Blown Camaro

American by birth, drag racer by choice
Dec 13, 2009
Deltona, FL
Here's a good one. I screwed my stop into my Dart heads, rotated the motor and around she went! Never touches. Straight plug Iron Eagle heads. Any ideas?

EricsZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 28, 2006
Here and there...
Blown Camaro said:
Here's a good one. I screwed my stop into my Dart heads, rotated the motor and around she went! Never touches. Straight plug Iron Eagle heads. Any ideas?
Sorry to ask the obvious, but can you screw it in further?

Are you running larger chamber heads with dished pistons for lower CR for your blower or something (I'm reading into your User Name obviously...)? I imagine that could put the plug higher and the piston surface lower --- which translates to needing more "reach" with the piston stop...

bski224

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2009
Long Island NY
Are you using a store bought stop or did you make your own? You can make own by using old spark plug and drilling out middle. Google it very easy to do

Goodwrench1965

Veteran Member
Apr 23, 2010
Charlotte NC
I dont think it matters that much just put your finger over th spark plug hole and when the air stops pusing thats top dead center of that cyliner on sompressiion stroke. set the timeing so engine makes most MPH. if you do decide to put aome kind a stop in the spark plug hole disconnect the battery cable first!

Blown Camaro

American by birth, drag racer by choice
Dec 13, 2009
Deltona, FL
EricsZ28 said:
Sorry to ask the obvious, but can you screw it in further?

Are you running larger chamber heads with dished pistons for lower CR for your blower or something (I'm reading into your User Name obviously...)? I imagine that could put the plug higher and the piston surface lower --- which translates to needing more "reach" with the piston stop...

Screwed in all the way. Never touches anything.

EricsZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 28, 2006
Here and there...
Blown Camaro said:
Screwed in all the way. Never touches anything.

Curious.

I would put my finger over the spark plug hole and turn the engine until it blows your finger off (near the top of stroke). Then, put a screwdriver down the hole and see how far down the piston is sitting. Compare that to your piston stop to see how short the stop is.

My piston stop had plenty of room for adjustment on a 10.4:1 engine with 0.45 quench and flat tops w/ valve notches. I'm using one like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99412-1/overview/