Plain steel french locks???

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 72'z'steve, May 23, 2020.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Plan on re doing my manifolds and smog tubes this summerand sadly my original french locks probably won't make the cut after being on off and 48 years of use.Does anyone know who makes plain steel locks??I bought a set of stainless for wifeys 67 back in the 90's and they sucked,didn't like paint,were too shiny without,pitched them and found a set in the junkyard and detailed.Being in wisconsin and our weather-nothing has survived at my couple private car stash haunts.Thought the NCRS vette guys would be all over this but all I see are bright stainless repos-Maybe blasting them to give some "tooth" might help with them holding paint??
    Anyone find plain steel ones anywhere? Thanks Later Steve!!

2. Mulsanne Blue

Mulsanne Blue Veteran Member

Check with Paragon Corvette.

3. 72'z'steve

Thank 'blue,they are there! part # 2673k $14 steel, I looked at ecklers and a couple others that popped up on google but they only had SS.Now to see if anyone makes a good bolt/washer kit! Local guy gave me a "repo" bolt set from inline tube bolts were lame [he said too long?] and washers were nothing like original-He went junkyard hunting in AZ while on vacay and stocked up on originals-might have to find him if no one makes a acceptable set-I'll check back at paragon-Thanks again Steve!!

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are these what you're talking about?
    locks.jpg
    If so I have what looks like 5 out of 6 taking up space. Send me your address and they are yours.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

If its a 70, you are looking for "circle N's" on the bolts. Tough to find in good condition. The repops are all "Circle O's". Might try AMK part number B-11275. The bolts are B-10159.

Also, small blocks didn't have painted manifolds-bolts-locks from the factory. These items were installed post engine paint. Big Blocks had them on so overspray on these is correct.

6. 72'z'steve

PM sent! My car is a 72,when I got it in 92 it was missing the smog/had wrong manifolds,I pieced together smog and the right manifolds from my 73 beater 'z' though pitted from being wisconsin parts.I was able to later track down all the past owners and #2 put headers on in late 70's.I told him if he ever came across anything from my car to let me know.Well about 8 months later a big box is on my porch with an exhaust stud sticking out [ups:(] in the box was the whole smog system,manifolds/tubes/hoses still attached plug shields but no bolts/hardware.He kinda just threw it in a box sadly and the diverter muffler got dinged and the tubes kinda bent, but I've had this stuff on the shelf for 20+ years and with my present stuff aging I was lining up to clean it up and swap it out.The bolts the fellow gave me are the "o" ones but the washers are fatter than the ones on my car.I have an electroylsis set up for doing parts I bet my present bolts and washers will clean up but I'd rather spend the time on bigger things-Thanks for all the input-Steve!!

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

8. 72'z'steve

Yup 72's the same,the "washers" with the repo kit the guy gave me are ok thickness wise,but seem larger diameter than the ones I have-I also figured out the "bolts being too long" he bought a kit for rams horn manifolds not log manifolds so he can't blame the supplier for reproducing the "wrong" parts.Dave is sending me the 3 end pieces {THANK AGAIN} I actually have one identical in the GM shrink on a nail I got somewhere! So I'll have a matching set! I was cleaning up my "original" smog items and the wittek hose clamps are dated 2/71 with 11d build date for my car,they must have made alot of those to be sitting around that long.Thanks again Steve!!