PLEASE HELP! Monte carlo should run faster in the 1/4!

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by BadAssMonte, Aug 3, 2012.

1. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

excellent choice, its what I run.......get you checkbook out cuz it's speeeeeendy

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

What I haven't seen in this thread....what is your timing set at? Was it timed with a light? I'd also like to know about your ignition setup. You could possibly need a custom (advance kit) distributor/ignition setup.

I agree with whoever said you're lacking power at the other end. It 'could' be fuel delivery....and it could also be a spark (or lack of) issue. I saw earlier in the thread where someone suggested to scrap the Accel HEI....I agree.

3. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

If you read my sig line, you can compare your setup to mine to see subtle, yet significant differences.

4. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My combo is pretty close to your, 409sbc, AFR 195's, Vic Jr, Pro Systems 901cfm carb, 3.73 gears, TH350 & my cam(Comp XR286R) is within 5 degrees of yours with similar lift.
    My convertor is a Coan built specifically for me & designed to run best with a 150hp shot of N20 but I have made a ton of NA passes on it.

On motor, my convertor locks at 2200rpm & I only 60ft in the 1.9-2.0 range. In decent air(for my part of the country, 5000ft) I usually run [email protected] going through the traps at 5500rpm. That's with a 30" tall MT drag radial.
    With a non-nitrous convertor(3500-3800rpm) I'd probably shave 2-3 /10ths off of these times.

On a 150hp shot of N20, I 60ft in the 1.4-1.5 range with the convertor flashing to 3800 & in the same high air I run [email protected] at 6000-6100rpm.

Your car should run close to these numbers once you get the bugs worked out. I'd suggest getting the ignition & fuel system nailed down first & them find a convertor builder you can work with. My goal with Coan was a streetable(low slippage) convertor that would live well with N20. I think they nailed it perfectly.

5. BadAssMonte

BadAssMonte Member

Awesome guys. Thank you for the great help from all. I have with out a doubt got some great tips and what to do.
    I preset the timing before setup at 10 degrees advance. After startup with vacume unplugged it went to 18 degrees, idle at 1300 rpm.
    Total timing 34 degrees at 2800 rpm on the Accel HEI. The weights and springs are OEM in the dizzy.
    I have a new accel digital timing light from auto zone. The better one where you can do everything on the light itself, in which I really haven't fully got figured out how to work the adjusment of advance on the gun.

6. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

I would be willing to bet your engine would like around 38 to 40 degrees of timing. I have actually never had a small block that I have ever run less than 38 degrees of timing. Also if it were me I would not be running vacuum advance. I would run an msd dizzy with the custom FBO advance limiter bushing and limit the advance to 10 degrees. 28* at idle and 38* all in between 2500 to 3000rpm. Bigger cams and higher compression coupled with a modern combustion chamber design like the afr has usually likes more timing. With that dizzy being stock setup I bet your timing is coming in wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too late.

This is the custom bushing i am talking about. I know you have a completely different dizzy but I am just trying to give you some ideas on a distributor setup that your combo would probably like.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/MSD Distributor Tuning.htm

Now on to the converter. You are not going to want anything less than 4000. Call any reputable custom converter shop and I bet money they all want you to be in the 4000 to 4500rpm range. Don't be afraid of this on the street. My 5000 stall ATI Treemaster is TIGHT and drives like a stock car on the street. Let off the brake at a light and she starts going on her own. I personally would highly recommend ATI.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  7. gregh

I agree on the timing, my engine is happiest with 40 total in by 3000rpm(I pull 6 degrees for the N20 runs) & no vacuum advance. I have vacuum advance & have tried running it but found no advantage on the street at all.

8. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

Hmm, I'm suprized to hear your AFR's like that much timing Greg. I'm running 34 degrees on my AFR's currently, but if time allows this weekend I'm planning to turn up the wick a bit. Weather's supposed to be in the 30's so I'm not expecting stellar ET's, but I should get some tangible numbers with the difference either way.

So are you trackless locally now Greg?

9. gregh

Yup, just using my car as a street cruiser now, It's a little hard on gas but the smiles per gallon are worth it, LOL.