Plumbers - sealing a threaded brass to CPVC connection?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by EricsZ28, May 21, 2012.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok, I'm replacing my shower valve. I have CPVC pipes. The shower valve is threaded brass (male). I tried using a fitting similar to this (glue on CPVC on one end, threaded brass on the other):
    [​IMG]

I gave the shower fitting several wraps with teflon tape, wrapping the threads against the direction of rotation. Then, I tightened the heck out of it, and glued everything up.

I turned the water on (after glue dried for 2 hours), and after a few moments I get a steady drip from the two supply line connections :mad:

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? Is it possible to over-tighten these fittings? I don't believe I cracked the brass...

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use these in my house too.You have to wrap really well,and ive had to strengthen the pvc pipe fitting while tightening it.Put a scrap piece of corresponding pipe in the hole to keep it ftom collapsing while tightening.The have them fittings with o rings in them too.

3. EricsZ28

How many wraps of teflon tape do you typically put on? Do you go against the threads like I did?

So, it's like the one I have pictured with an o-ring? I'll have to look for those. Thanks for the tips!

4. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a guy come do some pipefitting for me at a mill recently. He uses both teflon tape and the tan plumbers putty.

Regardless, you shouldn't have a leak right off the bat. Did you wrap the tape 3-5 times at least?

5. Bucketlist2012

Bucketlist2012 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, I would use more teflon tape, and you will know if you wrap it wrong, because it will unravel as you thread it..

Several wraps should do the trick.. And you should not have to muscle the thing too tight..

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you use a shark bite fitting? If so they are the easiest way to make connections from one type of pipe to the other.

7. EricsZ28

Nope, the shower valve is threaded.

Gordon / Bucketlist:

I used 3 wraps of tape, but IIRC, one fitting may have unraveled just a little. The other one didn't, but I obviously must have done it wrong as well. I was thinking about using some plumbers putty or thread paste alone. I didn't think of doing both putty + tape.

8. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Screw the tape, get some plumbers liquid teflon paste, that stuff works great!
    [​IMG]

Hell I use the stuff on all my engines threaded fitting (water temp sender, oil psi fittings, etc.)

9. EricsZ28

This is bringing back horrible memories of plumbing my fuel lines on the car :crazy: Teflon paste is what finally worked for me on the fuel lines. Maybe it's a sign...

10. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    I hope it was pipe dope and not plumbers putty ;)

I have seen many old timers do the same using both. Three wraps of the Teflon should be sufficient, you can tell by how far the fitting threaded on, if it looks like its bottoming out then you didn't use enough. And conversely; if you only get a couple threads then you put on too much.